KCBS chicken thighs

cgel42

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So we are practicing for next weekends kcbs in Franklin IN. Doing butts and thighs and we made a few thighs boneless. Is this allowed? Does the bone add that much flavor?

Thanks,
Chad

Bone in or out is fine.

I have scored much better with bones in but you will hear successful chicken weekends come in all shapes and sizes.

Cook some great chicken and you'll be fine whatever you choose. I wouldn't fool with breast meat unless your contest requires it though.

Thanks atlasman! This is our first BBQ comp so just not sure how we want to do things yet. I appreciate your feedback and reply!

Chad

No problem dude...........don't be worried about your first time. Make good food and keep your boxes pretty and you will be fine.

I would go thighs bone in or out before trying to get creative. Keep it simple, make and FOLLOW your timeline for cooking and give yourself some extra time on each cook (run chicken as close as you can) because your not going to slip under done tough meat past many judges.

Good luck.

Also, don't get hung up on the skin if this is your first comp. We cook with the skin on but pull it off for the last 15 minutes to color up. Get the benefit of the fat, flavor and moisture control without the hassle of the 'bite through'. Now we aren't winning, but our chicken was holding it's own. K.i.s.s. your first time out. Good luck!

Good Luck on your first comp. Just like every says cook great BBQ . Have Fun and you will meet great people . One you do one you will get hooked . You will learn something at every comp .

Just ask

I will there cooking also....come and introduce yourself. If I can be of any help to you on boxes or your bbq questions just ask!

Wishing you luck and some calls, :clap: Ron

I would go thighs bone in or out before trying to get creative. Keep it simple...

Good advice. BBQ judges generally will punish you for being too different. Forget all about that mango citrus habanero rub with a cinnamon raisin cabernet glaze and think traditional flavors with a balance of smoky, hot, and sweet.

I think bone in/bone out matters less than the favor and treatment of the skin to make it bite through. That said, most of the time people leave the bone in.

We've had regular success with bone out thighs. It doesn't matter what you start with or how you do it. As long as the end product is mouth watering Q, you have a shot. Have fun. Hope to see you sometime. We compete a couple times in Indiana every year. We'll be in Plymouth in September, will be doing that one?

Josh

We do bone-in/feathers on :wink:, but I wouldn't take our advice on chicken this year. See you there

I will there cooking also....come and introduce yourself. If I can be of any help to you on boxes or your bbq questions just ask!

Careful Ron. I did that with a first time team this weekend. Offered help with anything. I joked that they picked a h3ll of a comp to start off.:crazy:.........................Ya they beat the sh!t out of me and a lot of really good teams to move on to the regionals.:clap: Congrats Billy Rays BBQ.
cgel42 I would take up Ron's offer on ?'s. He's forgot more about bbq than I'll ever know. Good luck n have fun!

Careful Ron. I did that with a first time team this weekend. Offered help with anything. I joked that they picked a h3ll of a comp to start off.:crazy:.........................Ya they beat the sh!t out of me and a lot of really good teams to move on to the regionals.:clap: Congrats Billy Rays BBQ.
cgel42 I would take up Ron's offer on ?'s. He's forgot more about bbq than I'll ever know. Good luck n have fun!

I was wondering in the world they were. I told my wife they must have been an east coast team.

Hilarious. Thanks everyone for all your replies! Look forward to meeting y'all! Richie and Sons is our team name and we are really looking forward to this. Test runs on the butts and chicken turned out good. Thanks again and I love this forum!

Chad

Cgel, feel free to stop by. "82's BBQ Crew" we should be there thursday night.

We will also be there at Franklin IN. We are planning on arriving on thursday afternoon so we can be social before getting busy on Friday. Feel free to stop by Hug Hogs camp for a visit.
We just started last year, but will try to answer most questions.
Good luck, stay calm, have fun and make all turn in times.:clap2:

Cgel, or any one else for that matter, if you want to split a case of parsley let me know. I'll try to pick one up on Thursday

Thx guys. Just noticed there was a page two. We won't be getting there until Friday. We will be hitting the ground running for sure. I don't know if we have any parsley yet but I will check to make sure.

82 BBQ, how much parsley and $$$ is half a case? We overlooked that and don't have any.

I met Ron at my first contest in Liberty, IN. Very nice people and listen carefully to what he says, because he has forgotten more than I have ever learned.

Back