• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The new (again) revised pork rule for 2014

Is the new revised pork rule good for BBQ?

• Yes!

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • No!

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Pork is now a grilling contest

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Nothing changes for me

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Farker!

Votes: 8 6.8%

• Total voters
I wish they'd just change the name of the category to "pulled pork". POOF!!! All confusion gone instantly!

Can I make the precious little medallions? Yes. Do I find it to be silly? Yes, but apparently there are many who get a warm/fuzzy from sliced. To each their own.

Strangely enough the original KCBS participants probably would've considered pulled pork an overdone piece of meat and only given you some in similar fashion to bark pieces. KC prep was generally slices.

The 'idea' of 6 portions is so that each judge gets a sample of their own.

Correct and for some competitors a bed of pulled or chopped would not fulfill 6 distinguishable portions as dictated by the rules. So a cook may refrain from using pulled or chopped for fear of disqualification. So the clarity offers them an answer.

I am really disappointed that so many of my brethren would go out of their way to find a loophole. You all know what the rule says and what it intended. If not, I have been giving you all way too much credit. I mention the BBQ-Brethren and the BBQ family everyday. I talk about the love, honor, respect and integrity that you all have and then I come here and see this.

"How can I beat the system?"
"Johnny's cheating, Can I cheat too?"
"Why won't everyone do it the way I want to do it?"

For Pete's sake MAN UP!
Buy a Pork Butt. Cook it the right way according to the rules. Turn in your best product and leave it up to the judges.

Don't worry about what the guy next door is doing. Do your best and have fun doing it.

Jeez! Quit whining! We get to BBQ! A lot! Enjoy it and quit looking for reasons to be pissed off.

I'm gonna go outside and cook 2 pork butts. And I don't give a damn about the money muscle. It's gonna be pulled like the rest of the butt and it's going to make a lot of people happy. If that ain't why you are bbqing, you need a new hobby.

I am really disappointed that so many of my brethren would go out of their way to find a loophole. You all know what the rule says and what it intended. If not, I have been giving you all way too much credit. I mention the BBQ-Brethren and the BBQ family everyday. I talk about the love, honor, respect and integrity that you all have and then I come here and see this.

HOLD ON A SEC. Just because someone (like myself earlier in this thread) can look at a rule, see how its poorly written to allow loopholes, and bring up the possibilities for gaming the system within the poorly worded rule doesn't mean:
1) i plan on using such loopholes
2) participate in or condone cheating
3) compete in any way other than in the spirit of true sportsmanship and ideals shared both by the majority of members here and majority of competitors in the BBQ community.

Now, as someone who brought up and discussed loopholes under this rule in this thread, I am one of these people you are talking about here. I think maybe you went a little far in pointing a judgmental finger at some of us. :nono:

Strangely enough the original KCBS participants probably would've considered pulled pork an overdone piece of meat and only given you some in similar fashion to bark pieces. KC prep was generally slices.

And I see sliced pork butt as meat that came up short of reaching its full potential. Give me pulled and chunked any day. Its amazing how different regional likes can be.

I guess people like what they like, and hey its all good. I certainly don't want to dump on someone for their preferred BBQ style.

And I see sliced pork butt as meat that came up short of reaching its full potential. Give me pulled and chunked any day. Its amazing how different regional likes can be.

I guess people like what they like, and hey its all good. I certainly don't want to dump on someone for their preferred BBQ style.

If we are ever at the same comp, I want you to try my pork turn in. It is not the best, but it may change your mind. When I tried Bubba's pork turn in it changed my life.

If we are ever at the same comp, I want you to try my pork turn in. It is not the best, but it may change your mind. When I tried Bubba's pork turn in it changed my life.

Would be happy to! Do you cook any LA comps? I can't afford to travel very far to compete so it has kept me from getting to try some things. I am not one whose mind can't be changed.

I think that the KCBS board has an agreement that if a proposed rule change doesn't generate at least a ten page thread on BBQ Brethren, it's not worth doing.

They should have done this latest virson but left the 5lb minnium in as well.

With the rule as it is written, I wounder when some online meat source is going to start marketing just the money muscle in a 3 pack cryovac

Look up Pork n Podge Butcher Shop on Facebook. They currently offer a 5lb money muscle.

I think that the KCBS board has an agreement that if a proposed rule change doesn't generate at least a ten page thread on BBQ Brethren, it's not worth doing.

Awwww shucks! You found us out :doh:.

The above ^^^^^ is pure-D sarcasm for those who didn't catch it at first :mrgreen:.

HOLD ON A SEC. Just because someone (like myself earlier in this thread) can look at a rule, see how its poorly written to allow loopholes, and bring up the possibilities for gaming the system within the poorly worded rule doesn't mean:
1) i plan on using such loopholes
2) participate in or condone cheating
3) compete in any way other than in the spirit of true sportsmanship and ideals shared both by the majority of members here and majority of competitors in the BBQ community.

Now, as someone who brought up and discussed loopholes under this rule in this thread, I am one of these people you are talking about here. I think maybe you went a little far in pointing a judgmental finger at some of us. :nono:

Poorly written? Seriously? How about YOU join our rules committee that includes with Phil and Neil and let's straighten it out. You have the answers apparently and you're withholding them from all of KCBS.

Poorly written? Seriously? How about YOU join our rules committee that includes with Phil and Neil and let's straighten it out. You have the answers apparently and you're withholding them from all of KCBS.
Really Jeff? Maybe you could just get it right and be done with it?

I'm not on the rules committee, but I'll give it a shot...

What's wrong with requiring you start out with a 5 lb. minimum piece of pork shoulder, butt, or picnic, and cook it whole, and then allow it to be returned to the cooker after it's parted?

Seriously....how hard is that?

Maybe third time is a charm?

If people can read the rules and come up with some easy and simple ways to circumvent them and go against the spirit of the rule while staying within the letter of the rule, then yeah, I would say it maybe needs to be written a little better. Not trying to make that personal with anyone involved on the board. And not trying to be on any committee, I want to cook and compete, not sit on a board. I do think it would be pretty easy to take what was said in this thread, figure out everyone's issues with the new rule, and then incorporate that into making the rule better.

In the end I am sure everyone here, including you since I guess you are taking the time to create these rules, wants competitve bbq to grow and prosper with competitors who exhibit sportsmanship and a competitive nature while being a fun family friendly atmosphere where everyone plays by the rules. No need to get defensive.

What's wrong with requiring you start out with a 5 lb. minimum piece of pork shoulder, butt, or picnic, and cook it whole, and then allow it to be returned to the cooker after it's parted?

Exactly, my beef with the new rule is that it is vague where it says "after trimming must be cooked whole." We all trim unwanted parts off of our product, ribs being an excellent example. Who is to say I can't take a but, trim it down to pretty much money muscle, and then cook that whole. Money muscle is pork shoulder. Either define trimming to keep it from being twisted into cutting down the butt in the matter I illustrated, or make there be a weight minimum after trimming.

Is what I am saying crazy??

Why do we need a weight limit on pork? Give me one good reason. If you can, maybe we better add weight to all four categories. If so, lets make brisket at about 14 pounds (no separating point and flat!); maybe chicken whole at 3 pounds (no pieces); Ribs? No St Louis spares - full slabs and at least five pounds only!

Why do we need a weight limit on pork? Give me one good reason. If you can, maybe we better add weight to all four categories. If so, lets make brisket at about 14 pounds (no separating point and flat!); maybe chicken whole at 3 pounds (no pieces); Ribs? No St Louis spares - full slabs and at least five pounds only!

Many people feel that part of the fabric of the definition of Barbeque is large cuts, so those folks support using weight as a criteria in certain categories, like pork.

Some people would prefer whole (or half) chickens too for that matter.

Also, the "better add it to all four categories" argument seems specious to me. They are, by definition, different cuts, so they may, by definition, require different rules.

Sounds like real BBQ to me. Let's do it.

. . . I do think it would be pretty easy to take what was said in this thread, figure out everyone's issues with the new rule, and then incorporate that into making the rule better. . . .

I haven't talked to Jeff about this but it seems that he did just what you mentioned after the huge thread that was posted after the first attempt at changing / fixing the parting rule earlier this year.

It looks like he took a lot of comments and suggestions from that thread into consideration when he wrote the newest version.

By the way - last year I was the Chair of the Rules Committee so I'll take the blame / credit on that version. But remember, whatever the rule is that gets passed (if any) it won't go into effect until the 2014 season. That means that there still is time to tweak it, but it will never satisfy everyone.

Back