• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Good wood vs bad wood

PappaOscar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Neighbor gave me a small load of seasoned hickory. My question is, should I knock off the outside of the hardwood ring before using or you think it'll be okay. Don't want dirty smoke right off the bat.

Attachments

• 20151030_103446.jpg
    20151030_103446.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 179
Oh heck no! Just split it and use it...whatever bark is still on there is fine and won't make "dirty smoke" That only comes from poor combustion.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if the porous outside ring would burn quicker and produce bad smoke.
I didn't notice that outside ring but still what after splitting stays on isn't a big deal. It will burn hotter and faster but won't last as long.

What is very soft will usually just fall off during splitting but if it's super soft and it doesn't fall off I might knock some off. It definitely won't hurt you or your food.

If you were to burn it all down to coals it would not matter but I would not use that rotten wood for smoke.

a lot of times the rotted stuff is moist and burns poorly

I would not use it in my pit unless most of it got removed.

if it is just soft enough to make a indentation in the wood with a finger nail then I would use it but if it was like rotten {real spongy} and you could pull pieces with your fingers then I would use as fire wood .

You don't have a problem with whatever is in the rotten part of the wood flavoring your meat?
No you won't, it's all just oxidizing and doesn't impart any foul flavor. Now I wouldn't burn all rotted wood but if something is partially dry rotted it's fine...all good no worries.

I didn't notice that outside ring but still what after splitting stays on isn't a big deal. It will burn hotter and faster but won't last as long.

What is very soft will usually just fall off during splitting but if it's super soft and it doesn't fall off I might knock some off. It definitely won't hurt you or your food.

I don't know Fwis, looks pretty punky on the outside there.
But you are right, it won't hurt the food, just might be harder to get to combust.

Think I'll knock off the spongy part as much as I can and go from there. Nothing like experimentation to weed out the unknown.

Back