Doing my first Boston butt, any advice?

A

Arizona Ugly I

I have a 55 gal UDS with an upper and lower rack set up. We went and bought a 13.6 lb Pork shoulder blade roast whole. One's in the freezer the other in the refrigerator for this weeks smoke.

What's the general opinion on how to smoke it, temp wise, and what flavor wood, rub etc..

Thanks and I promise to post plenty of pron with smell-o-vision when I make it. :cool:

If you have the time, go "Low & Slow".

Hickory chunks in the UDS.

I don't like to inject, but if you slather w/mustard and a nice sweet rub and ya can't go wrong.

Shoulders are forgiving and taste great. Enjoy!

I like hickory. Whatever temp you smoke it at, just cook it 'till it's tender - you'll know when you can wiggle the bone, or when a probe slides in with little to non resistance. Let it rest, like an hour - can go longer if you want, then pull and eat. Don't open your cooker more than you have to. You also might want to get restaurant pulled pork one more time before you do this, 'cause after you do this you'll like yours better and the restaurant stuff ain't gonna work for you anymore (unless you're near a good BBQ spot).

I use a mixture of cherry and hickory when doing pork butt. Like gtr said whether you do hot and face or low and slow cook it till it is done. You will know when it is done when you can wiggle the bone and it releases, or you probe it and it goes in like going into butter.

Don't worry too much with pork butt also. The cut of meat is very forgiving piece of meat cooking wise. You have to try really hard to overcook!

When it's done, it's done. Nobody can tell you exactly what temp it will be done. I cook mine at whatever temp the cooker settles at, (mostly 275-290) and start probing at 190 IT. I only use the 190 reference cause I try not to open the cooker too much, and probing before 190 is pointless in most situations. I use apple or cherry for wood. I like hickory, but I like cherry or apple more.

Yellow mustard and rub over top works.

And definitely rest the butt in foil, wrapped in a towel for an hour. Just walk away and forget its even there.

At 275 the Butt will be done in 6-8 Hrs
Rub it and get it in the smoker. Error on the side of overdone and work back from there.
Good luck keep it simple.

When your guests ask you when it will be ready, politely reply "It will be done when it's done". Don't be pressured into pulling it early because people are hungry. Have munchies available and enjoy your cook.

Crank the pit to 300 and cook it until the bone falls out

At 275 the Butt will be done in 6-8 Hrs
Rub it and get it in the smoker. Error on the side of overdone and work back from there.
Good luck keep it simple.

You can let the butt rest as long as you need to, even hours. It will keep all that heat in a towel and cooler.

When your guests ask you when it will be ready, politely reply "It will be done when it's done". Don't be pressured into pulling it early because people are hungry. Have munchies available and enjoy your cook.

True story.

COOK IT!

Get the drum rollin, rub the meat and throw it on. Cook it til the bone wiggles.

Pull it and enjoy!

I'm with TIMMAY, they are done when they are done, don't get in a hurry or think that it will take 2.5 hours (just a random number) and then pull it. Most everybody's first mistake with butts is rushing them.

I use apple If you inject Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gidsons has a good injection. Simply Marvelus and Plow Boys are Good rubs I do mine at 225-250 If you inject should do it at least 4 hrs prior to smoking

I dry rub mine, sometimes inject with creole butter. I smoke with hickory and a little apple, apple not required though. I put it fat side down on pit, @ 225-250 until IT reaches 170-175. Usually takes 6-8 hours depending how well i maintain temp. After it is reached I pulled and double wrap, then put back onto pit fat side up for 2 hours. Then pull and put into cooler to rest for at least an hour. Never had one to not just fall apart doing this.

I cooked 5 butts with no injection at all. They were pretty decent. However, when I started using Chris Lilly's injection my pulled pork was more moist and delicious then I could ever hope. In one of Chris's youtube videos he shows himself taking out the bone and pushing the meat down. The meat just melts and falls apart. I finally achieved this wonderful moisture with injecting. To be honest I will never go back!

Check out the video in the link, at 3:15 you see it.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/7648605"]Chris Lilly's Pulled Pork Butt on Vimeo[/ame]

Back