Venison on the UDS

Pennywise

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Gents, I have a couple of hind quarters from my kill yesterday. Is there some guidance or favorite recipes you can share with me?

Deer is a very lean meat, it's going to take a lot of work to slow smoke and keep it moist. lard/bacon/stuffing it in something works well, but messes with the flavor. Move your basket up as close to the grate as you can and grill it with some wood chunks for flavor. This is how I do my backstrap and it always turns out great. Don't let it get over 140-145*. I normally pull around 125-135, depending on who I'm cooking for and where I got the meat

Grind it
Stuff it
Freeze it
Then everytime you start your cooker, Throw a link on and enjoy!

Kettle indirect till 120° internal, then grill direct to 140°. Marinated it first in Aleppo Marinade. A soy sauce based liquid made for game. Had a couple pieces of Beef fat sitting on top for moisture during the indirect time. This is how it looked. Tasted even better!

PB060365.jpg

PB060370.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic Smokin' D! What cut of venison is that? Will be sitting in my stand tomorrow looking to fill the freezer.

I did one two weeks ago, posted it in here somewhere. Easy. Inject it. I used what I had on hand, some Smoke on Wheels. Any injection will be fine. I also trimmed out any of the silver skin and connective tissues I could get at. I rubbed it with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and Pecan rubs, laid some bacon over the top of it, smoked at 225 for two hours or until it hit 150 degrees IT, then double wrapped it and poured in a Paulaner Oktoberfest beer, took it to 200 IT and let it rest. Flipping down right out of this world delicious. Even my neighbor who brought it to me was bragging it up as the best he had ever tasted.

Guys, thank you for all the input, I am doing all versions, making sausage, grillin the ribs, and doin the tenderloin after marinating and grillin direct quickly and rare! tHANKS GUYS WHEN i GET TO YOUR LEVEL I WILL POST PRON! IM SORTA SHY! i have been lurking on the site for a while now and have tried a whole lot of the sauces rubs and marinades. You gentlemen are true craftsman.
JL:mrgreen:

I like it marinated in Mr. Yoshida's marinade (if you can get any). Then fast and hot on the grill. Comes out tasty, but as other point out it can get tough quick.

Back