View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Are you using whole chickens, or legs and/or thighs?

As with any chicken cook where the pieces are cut up, I add the breasts about 10-15 mins into the cook so everything is done at the same time. However, with the Santa Maria pit, you could just put the breasts onto the cooler side.

I'd budget about an hour and a half, just depends how close to the coals you are cooking. With roadside, you're better off keeping the grate higher. MY BIL does whole legs and they're usually done in about two hours.

BTW, hope you'll join us at the SoCal bash on Sept 21! Link is in my signature...
I cut up a whole chicken, so I'll be moving smaller pieces off to the side and/or putting them on at different times.

Hoping to make the SoCal Bash - responded earlier, but have been negligent in checking in (too much going on - almost lost the house in the "Silver Fire" and yesterdays Thunderstorms caused few problem (flowing ash/mud/water everywhere - drying out now. Filled my pond with crud)