Real Carnitas.....pics

Sorry, I saw no pee pee, but saw what look like teats. Yeah, I didn't grow up on a farm. :rolleyes:

CD
Like teets on a bull no less ;). If that is the case I have only heard of the male pig good eats if the err umm money muscles removed at an early age.

Like teets on a bull no less ;). If that is the case I have only heard of the male pig good eats if the err umm money muscles removed at an early age.

I agree for smoking. But we are slow cooking in lard. A dog turd would taste good if cooked this way.

Getting somewhere. Once we got him opened up we found out he did not have very much fat. Not to worry we keep several gallons of lard frozen just for this.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTMuanBn.jpg

Thought I would show how we do this. A Sharp knife and some taps with a hammer, it goes through easily. Works on pelvic bone and breast plate as well. Call it a redneck sawzall I guess.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTcuanBn.jpg

When we butcher we leave the fat on the skin. Then we trim all fat to render down into lard. You can kinda see how thin the skin is when done. It's kinda like removing the fat off chicken thighs for comps. The lenses on cell got covered with pig fat so kinda blurry. I think my cell is water proof for awile.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NjIuanBn.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the intestines getting cleaned up. They get washed inside and out, chopped and fried then cooked in the pigs blood. Yummy!!!

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NjQuanBn.jpg

Ok, back to the carnitas process....all the fat was cut into cubes and placed in pot with about a gallon of water to help it start rendering. The water will steam off later. We only got about 20 lbs of unrendered fat. Lards on its way....

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NzAuanBn.jpg

Starting to render. It is milky looking because water is still in it. A side note...being it was about 100* today no one wanted to tend the fire, so we fired up the gas burner.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NzguanBn.jpg

Nearly done. The lard takes on a golden color. The stir stick was made from a hand carved 2x4. It has cooked 50 pigs or so. Sorry for the pic, between sun coming through to trees, pig fat and beverages some times it was tough to get a good picture.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NzkuanBn.jpg

Great thread Pugi - I am seriously loving this. Looks like a great place to be! :thumb:

Great thread Pugi - I am seriously loving this. Looks like a great place to be! :thumb:

Thanks gtr, this is at my nephew in laws house. The whole process it kinda hard on lawns and I like my lawn to be perfect. Here is the master at work (my nephew in law ). He is stiring the rendering lard, it takes a couple hours of constant stiring or it will burn. My guess is he has done somewhere around 1000 pigs in his life.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NzMuanBn.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Finally we have lard, the pic makes it look darker then it actually is. The strainer helps keep it clean. This needs to be done for storage. But we are not storing it yet.....

utf-8BSU1BRzA0ODEuanBn.jpg

Here is the money shot for the day. Pork cracklin taco with home made pickled jalepeno. Sorry, but that's it for today. The pig was cut up into shoulder size roasts and will be slow cooked in lard tomorrow. More pics to follow for that. Any question?

utf-8BSU1BRzA0ODMuanBn.jpg

Yikes, that looks amazing! :clap:That certainly puts to shame the carne asada tacos I'm going to cook tonight.

Thanks for sharing - can't wait for the next installment! :thumb:

Back