Please rate my chicken box

bogyo1981

Got Wood.
Reaction score
This is my chicken box from this weekend at the Sam's event in Southgate. A few weeks ago I took I posted a box and took peoples advice and tried to fix the problems. Like before any and all critiques would be useful.

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 625
An 8, I try hard not to judge anything but the meat, as I was admonished on another site for allowing my mind to be swayed by garnish.

Would like to give it a 9, but the Voodoo bones in the box make it tough...

An eight from the picture, possibly a 9 in person with a little shininess to make my mouth water. How did they score?

I give it a solid 8. The overall presentation is very nice. The part that got me was the sauce on the bones.

Ohh, and I guess this will just show I am biased the other way, but who cares...Thanks for "thinking outside the box"...assuming your meat does not blow...there were/going to be some lucky judges recently/in the future!

Hallelujah and thank you...maybe the Evil Reign of the Thigh is coming to an end!

I give you my word as a Judge, I will work on my bone bias...

Interesting meatpops.

I've never been presented with a box like this at the judging table, so rather than score it, I'll give you the first impressions that went through my mind.

"Wow, that's different"
"Those bones look really dry"
"Meat looks good though. I wonder how I should score this? Since the bones are just being used as handles, should the fact that they don't look that good affect my score?"

Still not sure in my own head how I would score this box. More importantly, if I'm confused it probably means other judges may be too. Definitely an interesting box to ponder on!

I wonder if some vegetable oil applied to the bones would make them look better and boost scores?

An 8, I try hard not to judge anything but the meat, as I was admonished on another site for allowing my mind to be swayed by garnish.

Would like to give it a 9, but the Voodoo bones in the box make it tough...
I'm with you on the bones but maybe a 7 for me

I would have to say that for me the color of the meat looks a little dark. I personally think the bones look great. Maybe its just me, but would you want a clean dry bone to pick up the lollipop with or a black, burnt bone. It's a huge improvement over your St. Charles box you posted a few weeks ago. The bones look much cleaner and more natural. I would give it an 8. Keep it up the improvements.

agreed a big improvment over the last box and I hope they scored well.

as to a critique ... I wonder what it would look like with the meat in the center and bones outward or stacked/over lapped. ??? If you ask the question does it make me want to dig in and eat, Im first drawn to look at the bones. There is room for more wow factor, better glaze??

A side question, to chicken. As judges are supposed to sample/eat what is presented, skin & all, what about bones? Shouldn't they be sampled/eaten?

Otherwise, I like the entry. The meat itself looks natural with a natural shine. Nice mahogany/reddish BBQ color to it. 8 at very least if not 9 in appearance.

I would give that box a solid 8. In person I might just give it a 9. Nice change of pace from the standard cupcake thighs. As for the complaints about the bones I don't get it. Your not eating the bones. Real good job.

the meat just looks like weird lumps of meh. Again, I am not thinking, oh let me get a piece of that. To me, the eye first goes to those bones and I dont like eating bones.

hide the bones.

I think the appearance would improve if you snip the knuckle off the ends of your leg bones before cooking. And you might get a couple more pieces in the box.
Great looking color on the meat.

Ron Yater

I would give them a 9. They're different, they're interesting, and I want to taste them. Sauce on the bones don't matter to me. It's Barbeque, not an art project.

I was a table captain at the Southgate Sam's contest and I wish these would have hit my table. Can't believe these scored the way they did at the contest.

Last edited:
Back