• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question for Water Smoker Owners

Do you cooking with water in your smoker?

• Yes

Votes: 85 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • No, I fill it with another substance

Votes: 12 8.8%

• Total voters

ggee6688

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Do you use water in your water smoker when cooking?

Yes, I love the way my ribs come out of the Backwoods with the water pan. Just can't be beat.

I have a WSM and a PM Vault. Never had a need for water, the insulated cooks moist.

I have a Large Spicewine that was designed to cook with water.
As the manufacturer recommends that water be used when cooking, I follow the direction to get the best results and avoid all issues with flare ups if the pit were to get too hot.

I think it depends on the cooker. If you're talking a cabinet smoker and need to even out temps between the racks it could benefit....but it doesn't add moisture to the meat.

If you are talking a vertical smoker like a WSM or UDS There isn't any need. IMO WSM were designed for the novice in mind so they can easily maintain temps but with more experience you can do with out water. Going with out in a WSM will increase fuel efficiency, and let you get hotter temps. In a UDS without water in the way you just get more flavor because your drippings can flash on the hot coals.

So it just depends on your cooker imo.

For me, most of the time, in an insulated cabinet smoker. I float a second pan on top of the water. This mostly to avoid a greasy water mess to dispose of.

I use water in the water pan of my Humphrey's religiously.... I figured the engineer added the water pan for a reason, why fix what isn't broken....

Great heat control with a perfect cook every time and absolutely no condensation or water forming inside the cooker. I insert an empty rack and use a disposable foil pan to catch all the grease and drippings, makes a quick and easy clean-up.

I run my insulated cabinet without water. I get better fuel economy that way. I line the water pan with foil to make cleanup easier. I cook mostly above 300. My temps are rock solid. Other than the top rack temps are very even.

Last edited:
Always use water. Have owned nothing but water smokers last 14 years.

On every BarrelSmoker that leaves here there is a water pan which is mainly recomended to fill with concentrated fruit juice for the first third of the cook then switch to straight water unless adding fresh product then use juice again, same way. It's not a distinct ready obivious taste, but it's just a subtle twist that plain water doesn't add. I figure if were using fluid why not. It doesn't add that much cost when using frozen concentrates. Not worth using bottled diluted juice products. Also in our 55's were using a 3 gallon pan ,sometimes a 2 gallon one and rarely but sometimes a 2 gallon filled half full with clean play sand and lined with foil. It all depends on the cooker and airflow is very important to the puzzle. Steve.

Used the water pan in my WSM once. Never again. I have a foiled terra cotta base there to help as a heat sink.

Just a foiled water pan in the WSM and I have foil balls covered with foil (for easy cleanup) in the BW Chubby. My decision had more to do with the fact that I'm a lazy bastige and hate cleaning more so than performance or results considerations. Works great though.

Forgot to add the we spray olive oil or grill type cooking oil on the pan to make cleaning very easy after using. Using a ss scrub ball takes only seconds with some warm soapy water. Steve.

Back