• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Big Easy Jambalaya

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
As many of you may recall I have a couple of Char-Broil Big Easy oil-less fryers. I don't really think of them as fryers but if used correctly you can turn out some great tasting foods.

My son wanted Jambalaya today so I thought I would test out using a dutch oven with the Big Easy. It worked so awesome...

Jambalaya2.jpg

My 14 inch dutch oven fit perfectly right in the top of the Big Easy. Turn it on and it heated up that dutch oven quick. Nice even heat all the way around.

Jambalaya3.jpg

After it heated up I dumped in two lbs our andouille sausage, one lb of chopped up bacon and cooked them through. The smell was fantastic.

Jambalaya4.jpg

Added pork sausage and chicken a cooked that. Then celery, onions, garlic and cooked that.

Jambalaya5.jpg

Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, rice and seasonings. Put on the lid and let it cook. John Besh in his cookbook then instructs you to take the dutch oven off the heat and add the shrimp and green onions. You then put the lid back on and let it set for 10 minutes. The shrimp cooked perfectly.

Jambalaya1.jpg

Jambalaya6.jpg

Great idea for that cooker. That looks great. When I was a cook in college at a private club here in DM, I was taught to make shrimp the same way. Boil the water with seasoning. Add shrimp, take off heat, let sit for 5-10 min.

NICE im a huge fan of new orleans style cooking. Try to go down there at least once a year, sometimes just for the great food.

Got to agree with you about the smell. For my money browning andouille sausage is one of the best smells in all of cooking.

Good looking stuff.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Grat looking dish! How does one go about knowing how much water or broth it takes to make it come out as jambalaya instead of soup?

Larry, you rock!
I never would have considered putting a dutch oven in the big easy. I can't wait to try it out.

Outstanding!!! I can taste it from here!

Wow Larry that looks really good. I sent a link to one of my buddies down in TX that just got one of these BE's this past year. He said he was looking for new stuff to try out and well you did it! Thanks for sharing. Vince

I would never have thrunk it using one with a dutch oven , BTW the food look really good

Love a nice hardy jambalya like that. Did you forget the okra?

Very similar to how I do it......perhaps my favorite meal besides Que. Looks awesome. You got me on Sunday night Jambalaya...thanks.

Back