Joining a Team Just to Learn

I didn't know Legion Field still existed. I remember when one side was falling in.

Do the neighbors still charge $10 to park the yard, $20 for security?

It is so deserted now when a game is going on that every single car can fit in the lots around the stadium with room for about 10,000 more cars I bet. And it's UAB themselves charging for parking around the stadium too. I think it's like $7 a car or something inconvenient like that and you have to have correct change and they don't take checks.

And they just decided to tear down the upper deck instead of fixing it years ago. The ole girl isn't going to be in useable shape for very long if they don't start some serious upkeep on it. Maybe they won't though and it'll fall in and we'll get our stadium on campus.

I remember going to an Alabama game (before they stopped using Legion Field) when I was little with my best friend and his grandpa and we stayed in a motorhome, but I'll never forget driving down there after school with them and seeing a ton of people hocking their yards for parking. I had never seen anything like that before at that age. Never forget it. So many people selling barbecue right out of their yards too, smelled so good. Every cooker was an old drum grill or smoker that I remember, even being that young. LOL.

Remember at LF we (UAB) get no money from parking nor concessions that is the B'ham Parks & Rec that gets that as well as said people giving visitors a bad experiences when they come, again BP&R employees as well as fans of that other program down the road so no vested interest in giving people a good experience. As to parking no it's not a problem of space, it's a problem of the people you have to deal with (parking nazis) The only time you might have to park off LF would be something like a SoMiss game or the rare $EC opponent coming there but the price is the same as LF in most cases $8 but at LF you might have to buy an extra spot if you have something as large as a 10x10 canopy to set up. If UAT was still playing games there, you wouldn't see no problems that we have happen to them. We play our home games there but it's not a home field for us either.
As to BOB contest, there were about a dozen teams & I was surprised that they had that many considering they staqrted about 2 wks before the contest whereas I was telling them in the UAB Mkting dept to get off their butts back in Aug to get stuff done. The contest left me a sour taste in my mouth as a BBQer as well as a fan/employee of UAB. I'll get off my soapbox before I get on it about that.

I tailgate in the paid spots on the north side of the stadium, look for the white canopy near the Gang Green, Dragons Lair tailgate spots (easiest tailgate setup landmarks). We've normally 20-40 people & I'm the grill master of course. We try to theme it to an opponent. Stop by if you come we have adult beverages as well as those for the tea totalers.

Not sure if you're willing to drive or not, but you could join us for a comp and see how it works out.

Back