• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brunswick Stew (pron)

jocosa

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This weekend the UDS gets a second coat of grease... We're going on a week long camping trip soon and I'm cooking up a batch of Brunswick stew for dinner one night. Also some gifts for visiting inlaws and one who's got a b'day today.

In the smoker today are 2 butts, 2 plain fatties, and one whole chicken - started out as spatchcock, but I just cut it in half for ease of handling.
Half is left plain for the stew, the other half was dosed with Jamaican Firewalk.

Onions, celery and green pepper sauteing for the begin of the stew:
onion.jpg

Gratuitous plain fatty shot
gratf1.jpg

Sliced open, headed for the stew
gratf2.jpg

Chicken turned out nice, right half went to the stew
chick.jpg

And the final stew.... all I need now is some Jiffy cornbread muffins :-D
stew.jpg

Looks good! I haven't used the trinity in brunswick stew, and also it looks like you have a tomato base. Would you mind posting the recipe?

The recipe is.... (my tweaks are in parenthesis)

• 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used 3 tbs)
  • 1 cup chopped onions (2 onions any size)
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper (I used 2 small ones)
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground pork (I use two plain fatties, crumbled)
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I use 2 lbs pulled pork)
  • 1 (3 pound) whole cooked chicken, deboned and shredded (I only used half a smoked chicken)
  • 3 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped (I used 2 cans of diced petite tomatoes and a quart of quartered homegrown roma grape tomatoes.)
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup hickory flavored barbeque sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1 tbs fresh ground black pepper and about 2 tsp kosher salt)
  • hot sauce to taste (optional)
  • 3 (14.75 ounce) cans cream style corn

Simple enough - sautee the celery, onions and bell pepper in OO, then add in meats, followed by canned tomatoes and cream corn. Add ketchup and bbq sauce, S&P - mix well, add water as needed, simmer for 2-3 hours. Adjust ketchup, BBQ sauce, S&P to taste.

Freezes well too.

We served this at my wedding reception and I've had people ask for it often since then.

Sticker500- I've got good friends in Millbrook - small world. :cool:

Need to put that on my long thing to do in 2009 list. It looks great

Really nice, I do mine a bit different, but I really like the looks of your pic and I think I'll try it out next time I'm wanting some stew. We end up making it about once a month.

Brunswick stew is by far my favorite of the soups and stews. That there looks like the real deal.:eusa_clap

Y'all are so welcome... more than happy to share and give back a little for all the info I've picked up here. :)

Back