Knives

Welcome to the Shun clan ( I have a few). A couple of thoughts:

Shuns are a laminated blade and the center core is much harder than typical western knives like Wustofs, Be careful around hard sharp corners like stainless prep tables with them as they can chip.

Shun blades are ground at a shallower angle than western blades - 22 degrees vs 30-33. You should never use a mechanical sharpener (like a chef's choice) on a Shun or other Japanese blade. The bevels are incompatible.

Enjoy your new toys!

If you are looking for knives to take to culinary school skip the Shuns and Wustofs, and go with something you're willing to lose/throw away/have destroyed,like Sani-Sations or Dexter-Russel or Forschner. You walk into a culinary school or a restaurant as a prep cook with a $800 set of knives and if you turn around they'll be gone, particularly paring and boning knives. In school you'll chip them, scratch them, and possibly break them.

I was checking out knives at a restaurant supply and the cutlery mgr. said the same thing, he said he'll sell a set to students and can tell by the look on their face when they walk in the door a few days later, they were replacing lost/stolen knives!
I bought a cheap Granton edge slicer for brisket and he said, come see me about a Wusthof when you win your first contest!
That will be a while!

Brian

My knife set is a hodge podge from Ebay and Cutlery and More...Henkle Pro S. The favorite, go~to knife is a Henkle Classic ~ Santoku..takes a good deal of abuse while holding a fairly good edge and cheap enough to throw at the neighbor's dog.

I won't vouch for Ebay as a knife source...Can't shy you away either. I got the majority of my knives off of Ebay at under 50% of the lowest internet retail price I could find...perfect condition.

Then again, I had to send "one" back to Henkle to be warrantied...Sadly, I think they just reshaped the blade.

My score...10 good Ebay buys on knives, 1 bad. I'm still under 50% retail though. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back