• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

To Pull Or Not To Pull

W

we'll smoke u

Just Wanted To Know What Some Of You Other Comp Teams Do To Your Pork Butt For Turn In's.

1. Pulled Only.

2. Sliced Only

3. Alittle Of Both

One Other Thing Do You Suace It'

Thanks Scott

Hand pull with some chunks of bark. I don't know what it is about pulled pork, but I cannot resist... Everytime I see sliced pork, I think of Sonny's corporate Q. Life is too short...

I turn in both.
I also sauce, but only lightly, and usually cut it with the "au jus" from the butt wrap.

Pulled with some decent sized chunks of bark....

We add almost all the juice sitting in the foil as well as a small amount of sauce.

Switched to chopped, not pulled. And always include slices. Light on the sauce but we pour the juices from the foil into it too.

Attachments

• pork turn-in.jpg
    pork turn-in.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I judged an entry with pulled, chopped and sliced all in one box. Had they stuck to just sliced, they would have probably done well. Another had pulled and sliced... pulled was great, sliced wasn't.

My point is, whichever you do, make sure that everything is worth turning in. If one or the other turns out dry, sub par, whatever, just turn in the other.

We pull, slice, bark, toss in sauce (alittle sauce) and roll the dice. last weekend we failed with our pork. that sucks.

cmcadams said:
I judged an entry with pulled, chopped and sliced all in one box. Had they stuck to just sliced, they would have probably done well. Another had pulled and sliced... pulled was great, sliced wasn't.

Same experience here in judging - if the pulled is good the sliced sucked or vice versa. Maybe it's just that you have something to compare it to - like a t-bone steak, one side's jsut better then the other. Give the judges your best.

We have tried all ways.. If we have really good slices we go with that. Lately though, we have been going with pulled and chunks that have a nice bark on them. All with sauce. I like the wow factor that pulled and chunks give the box.

I like slices with some chunks

Attachments

• pork1.jpg
    pork1.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for the input guy's.

ique that does look mighty taste to.

We did our first comp recently. We submitted pulled and chunks. Pulled we mixed with juices and a little sauce. Came in 6/42. Just missed walking.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Last edited:
Oh Man, Chris, does that ever look good. I love BBQ pork. To me it doesn't matter whether it is pulled, sliced, or in chunks. It can be on the plate, in a bun, or even rolled into a burrito. If it's good that is all that matters.

Back