Fuel needed for Klose smoker

HPD190

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice on how much lump charcoal they use to get their pit up to 275 - 300 range before putting the meat on? I used RO lump charcoal and a stick of hickory to start my fire, but had trouble getting the temp up. It was 58 degrees outside so that was probably a factor. I had enough lump charcoal to fill a large Weber chimney starter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lay a bed of lit lump or briquettes and throw on a split. If that doesn't get you to temp, throw on another split.

I can usually get my offset up to 275 at startup with 2-3 splits depending on their size.

Add a couple more splits. Also with it being a little colder outside, just start your fire about 30 min to an hour before adding your meat to the pit.

I start with a chimney and once that's going I'll throw on a couple splits. Usually I'll throw one on, let it get going and then the other one. Then repeat all day!

Are your intake and exhaust vents all the way open? That's how I run mine.

I start my Lang with 3-4 splits (no lump), then throw on another split every 40-45 minutes or so.

I mix both in the chimney, lump and briquettes, get it fired thoroughly, dump it in, throw in two fist sized splits. Thats always good for 275/300
Remember, you gotta like to play with fire with a stick burner and keep experiment ing.

I start with a chimney and once that's going I'll throw on a couple splits. Usually I'll throw one on, let it get going and then the other one. Then repeat all day!

Are your intake and exhaust vents all the way open? That's how I run mine.

My air intake and exhaust were wide open. It sounds like I need to add more wood and have some patience. Thanks for the advice everyone!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I also found, that putting the wood closer to the air intake on my little okie joe will bring the temp up, al though it will burn a little faster.

Lay a bed of lit lump or briquettes and throw on a split. If that doesn't get you to temp, throw on another split.

I can usually get my offset up to 275 at startup with 2-3 splits depending on their size.

Peeps has it right. Also, keep your intake and vents wide open until you want to dial in your temp.

when I use to have offset stick burner, burning more smaller size splits did work, also on real cold like zero / windy days I use to put a tray of lump inside with the meat, also built a wind block, more wood should doit....but I switched to insulated cabinets

when I use to have offset stick burner, burning more smaller size splits did work, also on real cold like zero / windy days I use to put a tray of lump inside with the meat, also built a wind block, more wood should doit....but I switched to insulated cabinets

Good idea, I forgot about putting heat in the pit its self. I did that in the dead of those Ill. winters.

Have you checked the thermo? I bought a klose from a brethren this summer, I got it home and fired it up and had a huge fire raging and the thermo read 200. I switched it out witb the thermo from my jambo and the pit temp was Actually 300+. Needless to say the thermo (original with "klose" on the face) was bad.

Have you checked the thermo? I bought a klose from a brethren this summer, I got it home and fired it up and had a huge fire raging and the thermo read 200. I switched it out witb the thermo from my jambo and the pit temp was Actually 300+. Needless to say the thermo (original with "klose" on the face) was bad.

I haven't done that, but I will do it. Thanks.

Back