Pork belly...Rind on or off?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Gonna get my first pork belly to make bacon tomorrow. Is rind on or off preferred? I can get rind on for around $2.95 and rind off for around $3.25.

Also does that seem like a fair price? One place I called wanted $6.50 a lb.

I would buy it with the rind and then I would carefully trim it off. Cure and smoke the rindless belly for bacon and use the rind to make cracklings.

First, those are good prices since all pig product prices have increased lately. I just bought a belly for $2.99/lb where it was $2.49 a few months ago. Second, having removed the skin from many a belly, I would gladly pay the extra amount for skinless belly. Unless you have a very sharp knife and patience it is tedious to remove the skin without removing a portion of the valuable fat.

I have the butcher trim it the skin off for me and then I use it to wrap venison roasts prior to cooking.

OP, where did you get those prices from?

I'd vote skin off. If you want the rind for cracklins, go for it. Trimming the skin off of a belly is a pain in the ***!

Skin on. Trim it off when the smoking is done and the bacon has cooled. You can save the skin to add to sausage recipes.

I smoke mine with the skin on. The skin will peel off (after smoking) like the membrane on ribs. Then freeze the skin till you make a pot of beans.

NUTZ

Back