Foil your butt?

NazBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was listening to a couple pros debate whether or not to foil pork at a competition. This may be an age old debate among brethern, but I'd like to get some thoughts none the less.

I've foiled @ ~160F internal and I've gone the whole cook w/o foiling. I just go the whole cook w/o foiling any more. But, I always double foil before wrapping in a towel & holding in the cooler. YMMV... Cheers!!!

I foil when the color gets to what I want. I use one cooker for butts and ribs, no other way to keep them from getting too dark. Usually between 150-160 meat temp. Helps avoid stalls too.

I foil, like others said; for color. I only have 1 large smoker, so it's used and we time carefully when we're foiling.

I foil when I get out of bed, so the bark does not get hard, color to me use to mean a lot. Now it means nothing. I have won with black bark and a what I thought was the perfect color. So I only foil to save the bark I add flavors to the foil, but the meat is already sealed up and so the flavor in the foil is pointless at this point. More of a mental thing for me./

We foil for color because we have 1 large smoker and everything goes on it. You have no way to prevent too dark of a color when you have so many items on there needing smoke, while others do not.

I foil everything. Reynolds sales reps interested in sponsoring a team can PM me :becky:

Back