Smoked gravy - BEST. THING. EVER!

Wh1skey6

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First time smoking a turkey and the wife was fretting over the gravy. We've deep fried the last two years and did not have real gravy.

I bought a second rack for the UDS and placed a pan on it. Placed the turkey on the top rack. In the pan, I threw in the following:

- turkey neck
- turkey back (from spatchcocking)
- 2 cups of boiling water with sugar and salt (this was to prevent the drippings from burning before they had a chance to collect)
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- half an onion cut up into chunks
- 1 apple sliced up

I tell you what...this was the most amazing turkey gravy I've ever had.

Turkey.jpg

It really is the way to go. I also do this for chickens. Provided they fit in the pan, I just set them in the pan and smoke them.

I just pour all those drippings into a tall glass and skim the fat from the top and use the fat to replace some or all of the butter when making the roux. I use the liquid from the drippings as the liquid to make the gravy, usually adding a little cream and milk to give it body.

Best damn gravy ever in my opinion. Flavor matches the meat.

I've been seriously considering adding a second grate in the UDS just to place a pan to catch drippings on larger cuts, which is something I have been remiss in until recently. I like the boiling water idea to keep the drippings from burning. And biggy - I actually really salivated reading your post. :thumb:

I did what you did and everyone loved the smoked gravy.... My brother was just pouring it on everything.

My secret pleasure is gravy on peas with white pepper and mint!
Or maybe it is peas floating in gravy...but gravy over roast vegetables is heaven!

Sounds like you've started a new T-Day tradition! Nice work. I've done something similar in the past but I'm a little apple happy and need to learn to cut back on the fruit and go with something more like your recipe. The vinegar is also an interesting idea and definitely something to experiment with the next go round.

Thanks for the comments. The cider vinegar was always my default go to on my water smoker. On my ECB, I used random different liquids in the water pan to test.

My favorite was using my daughter's kool aid (I had been drinking and it sounded like a good idea). Those ribs had an awesome Island Berry Blue flavor!

I think this gravy turned out as well as it did because I made a roux with the drippings.

We've been doing the smoked gravy thing for a few years now. I've had times when it's been a little too smokey, however. This year, I made two batches of stock- one for under the turkey, and one that I did on the stove top. I then mixed the two batches together. This ensured that there was just a hint of smoke in the gravy, but not too much.

Back