1st Boston Butt on BGE

camben

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hopefully it will be good eating tomorrow for the family.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345869924.313502.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345869937.872907.jpg

That is looking good so far!! Looking forward to seeing the after pics! Good luck!

It's been over 11 hours and the internal temp is only 169. At what temp do you guys pull it off and let it rest. I'm so ready to try this thing!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345908407.675980.jpg

For pulled pork I remove it when the bone wiggles easily. That is between 195-200 usually.

Be patient, most people mistake the first couple of times is rushing butts. As above when the bone wiggles and it's around 200

I guess it's going to be a while then. Time to grab another beer!

Oh that miserable stall period

Remember your butts & briskets stall around 160º and then seem to take forever which is why some folks foil. Just a thought so you may need more than 1 beer.

Grate. I'm starting to lose patience. It's going on 15 hours and it's still only at 180.

Wait it out this time. Next time, you can bump up the grid temp 10° and compare the results. Time after that you can bump it up 10° more. You'll be building a database for future cooks. My first butt on the Egg took 13 hrs. at 250° (dome)... probably about 240° grid... I've since raised my cook temp 10° I've also started foiling for an hour or two when it hits the "stall". Can't drink too much beer. :heh:

Lol. I ended up putting foil over it. It's at 190 now. When it hits 195 I think I'm going to pull it and let it rest for a 1/2 hour.

Ok, finally hit 195 internal temp. I pulled it and wrapped it. Going to let it rest for an hour and then dive into it. Till then... another beer!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345928540.165702.jpg

Any suggestions?? Or just wait it out?

I have a suggestion.... bump the heat up so the meat will render properly. Crank it up to the 275-325 range after the first hour.

Low temps, whatever they are (200-230), are insane, A couple websites and forums are into this one dimensional cooking. It's complete BS. Yes, It's BS. Spend 24 hours cooking a few briskies. Tons of fun, and tons of wasted fuel (wood).

Would you rather have great results with a 6 hour cook or have worse results with a 18 hour cook?

Time is money, unless you have a huge backyard and want to party with a backyard BBQ.

It's a shame you weren't here 17 hours ago. I'll take it into consideration next time.

Everyone has an opinion. And it is just that---their opinion. Do your own research and tests and you will find what is best for you. Whether that's low and slow, hot and fast, or a hybrid between the two, there is no "only" way.

I'm sure your pork will turn out great.

Back