Preheating Wood On The Bandera

C

Cecil

I'm going to start using split wood from Academy in the bandera. I did a search but didn't find the answer to my question.
What are some tips on preheating wood so I get ignition right away when it is thrown on the fire without having the wood catch on fire on top of the firebox? TIA

I guess another question would be is the wood at Academy sports already seasoned and ready to burn?

Cecil said:
I'm going to start using split wood from Academy in the bandera. I did a search but didn't find the answer to my question.
What are some tips on preheating wood so I get ignition right away when it is thrown on the fire without having the wood catch on fire on top of the firebox? TIA

I guess another question would be is the wood at Academy sports already seasoned and ready to burn?

Set it on the slatted tray, IMO. That is close enough to pre heat.

I usually stage it there, with the very next chunks I will put in sitting on top of the firebox away from the hottest part of the fire. Would not recommend leaving things ON the firebox too long.

A few months ago, my brother in law somehow burned the wood slatted tray when something caught fire and spread to the tray, so it can happen ....... to brother's in law.

Cecil said:

I get almost all of my hickory from Academy, and pick up pecan and mesquite when I'm running low on wood. I've had a couple of bags that were a little on the green side, but good luck overall. No idea if the OKC stores are using the same supplier though. The last sack I got from Academy came from Big John's out of Ft. Worth I think (and that was purchased down in San Antonio).

I'll set some wood up on top of the smoke box to start warming, and then move it down to the top of the firebox to get it ready to add to the fire. I'm always cooking on a concrete slab and can just push it off if it ignites, but I've never had it go beyond smoldering once or twice. I also keep a steel barrel close by with some long tongs from a fireplace set. The top of the smokebox has also bailed me out a time or two when I had wood that got a little damp from an unexpected shower.

Their wood is advertised as seasoned, but who really knows. Buy an extra bag and stack outside. I preheat on the firebox. I keep a few splits under the frebox on the Klose also. In the summer, just let lay in the sun. But on top does the best. Maybe elevate an inch or so with a rack or something.

I preheat on the firebox. I've found that as long as I don't leave them on for a long time (always nice to see the top of the firebox blazing away) and I don't let the splits get too close to each other then it's fine. If you've got your fire right next to the smoke chamber you can also move a split or some chunks over next to the firebox door away from the fire and, just like charcoal, it will preheat and any bad stuff will burn up as it passes over the hot fire.

Jorge said:
I will now. Thanks!

The office is in the trailer. Tell them what you want and pay. They'll direct you to which mountain of wood. Give the guy your order, and they'll load it. Might help if you know a little spanish. Was thinking of bribe with beer tactic next time. Maybe the he will start loading extra. :biggrin:

I noticed on a few of the logs they had moss on the bark. Can I just scrub it off or do I need to remove the bark?

Cecil said:
I noticed on a few of the logs they had moss on the bark. Can I just scrub it off or do I need to remove the bark?

If just a little, I rub 2 logs together bark against bark. If there is a lot, I skim/scrape the bark with the maul to knock the loose stuff off.

I did the fire grate mod to my Bandera so I have the original fire grate left over. I turn it upside down (the little feet pointing up) and put it on top of my firebox. This let's the wood get good and hot, but because it is not sitting directly on the firebox, it takes a lot longer before it ignites.

Attachments

• Bandera.JPG
    Bandera.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 101
jt said:
(always nice to see the top of the firebox blazing away)

You mean preheating doesn't include the wood ablaze on top of the firebox?? I thought it was all part of the excitement of BBQing.

JTMcD.

JohnMcD348 said:
You mean preheating doesn't include the wood ablaze on top of the firebox?? I thought it was all part of the excitement of BBQing.

JTMcD.

Yeah really, happens to me almost every time I try and preheat on the bandera.

OK, I have to know....How do we get pictures posted with our posts? I tried it the other night in a post I was working up but couldn't seem to find anywhere to uplaod a pic for the post. I click on the image thing in the post window and it asks me for a script....text to be formatted. Can someone explain this to me. I feel like a complete idiot....And I'm a fat guy with glasses. This computer stuff should be a breeze for me.

JTMcD.

jtmc, click on the "go advanced" option at the bottom of the quick reply box. On the next screen, below the text window, click on "manage attachments" a pop up window will come up with links for you to "browse" you computer files for pix (they'll need to be properly sized).

Hope this will get you headed in the correct direction.

scott

bbqinNC, what do you use for the ash pan since the grate is on top of the box?

Do you use a fire grate at all? A firebox (charcoil box?) Just curious

kcquer said:
jtmc, click on the "go advanced" option at the bottom of the quick reply box. On the next screen, below the text window, click on "manage attachments" a pop up window will come up with links for you to "browse" you computer files for pix (they'll need to be properly sized).

Hope this will get you headed in the correct direction.

scott

Cool, got it now. I completely missed that before.

Thanks loads.

JTMcD.

bbqinNC,
Nice pic of your rig. Way too clean. I do have a question for you about your wood. Your splits look a bit small. I use ones almost twice as big as that and only have to add about 1 per hour. How many of those do you have to add and how long a burn do you get?

I can toss this in. I find some woods HAVE to be preheated (pecan and mesquite) or they don't burn well. Others like hackberry go off like a torch with little effort.

Bigdog,
that was one of my first all wood cooks. I am now starting to use bigger pieces. At that time I was adding a piece or two every 15-20 minutes. I have noticed though that I get more consistent temp control with the smaller pieces.

willkat98,
I did the fire grate mode using expanded metal and flat iron. This sets on the bottom bracket in the firebox. I use the stock ash pan for the ash pan. Now that I am burning wood, it does not fill up as fast as when I used charcoal.

Back