Christmas Dinner

parrothead

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I get to make two of them this year. Tonight is T-birdx kids coming over because that is when they all can get together. Tomorrow will be ny family and a couple of her kids back again. I have a prime rib on the smoker right now and tomorrow will be prime rib and a turkey tittie for maom and dad. They got real serious a couple of years ago about their eating habits. They will probably take a taste of the beef, but they prefer to stick to their diets, so no problem.

Anyhoo, back to the menu. I just made a big batch of Bagna Cauda. Yums! I better go start peeling the potatoes and keep going on everything else. T-bird is at work so it's all me for now.

Must be something invented in IL.never heard of it :roll:

Prime rib ala PooBah tonight. It's my son's birthday. Had his mother crossed her legs for another 20 minutes like I asked, he would have been named Jesus (hey zuce). Mexican fiesta tomorrow. Tamales,7 layer bean dip, hot cheese dip, tortilla roll ups, cheese log, and a whole lot of other good eats. Turkey and shrimp cocktail for the sissy folks.

MrSmoker said:
Must be something invented in IL.never heard of it :roll:

Nope... Italy...

http://www.italianmade.com/recipes/recipe75.cfm

I don't know if this is the same recipe, but I've had the one that Greg makes and its good stuff! You can't go near people for a couple of days, however... :rolleyes:

Dr. Chickens Ham is now at 120 internal. Glazing has begun... Sweet potatoes going on soon. We're also having beans (left over from another cook) and a salad.

Christmas dinner is at my parents house. Its an interesing twist in cultures... The suburb that I grew up in was, at the time, precominantly Jewish (we're not, not that it makes a difference), and we were surrounded by great delis. My sister now lives in northern Indiana and kosher corned beef and salami is hard to find, so, for Christmas dinner every year we have kosher corned beef, kosher salami, kaiser rolls, rye bread and new dill pickles. There is always enough for us to take some home for reuben sammies a couple of days later.

Sounds a lot like the version we make, except ours has dried mushrooms in it. I think this is one I adapted from Jeff Smith-The Frugal Gourmet.

BAGNA CAUDA

½ ounce dried porcini or other mushrooms

12 each canned flat anchovy fillets

1 ½ cup evoo [extra virgin olive oil, Rachel Ray mod]

1 cup butter

1 head garlic, broken apart, peeled, and cloves crushed

4 TBS bourbon-or brandy

Black pepper to taste

Soak the dried mushrooms in hot tap water to cover well for about 1 hour. Drain and chop coarsely. Set aside. Mash anchovies in a saucepan with spatula or wooden spoon. Add olive oil, butter, and all the garlic. Heat to a simmer and add the mushrooms and the bourbon. Heat, stirring frequently, for a few minutes, until the garlic is very fragrant. Add black pepper to taste. Cook for a couple more minutes.

Serve with crudités, and/or crusty bread to dip.

10-12 appetizer servings

Serve warm, of course.

However you make it, it is good stuff.

We had a simple traditional Xmas dinner of ribs and beans. Used some info I got from Brother Wayne to improve my ribs - With Pale Ale, it was a fine dinner.

Now the Fragile Flower is complaining of dire-rear (and I didn't even use any anchovies!) So I am left sitting in front of the fire with a brandy, thinking how good my life is - and falling into this den of iniquity is one of the good things going on with me.

All my best to my friends near and far

Dr. Chickens Double Smoked Ham is ready for tonight and tomorrow i'm doing some chicken boobs as there will only be three of us.Of course i'll have to wear my Brethren tee shirt as it will be only 80* :mrgreen:

I broke down and bought a small 4.5 lb rib roast. The turkey is prolly going to go in the oven. I also have a slab of spares, 2 small beef rib slabs and some pork strips. I am not sure I want to cook long enough to put a butt on. Picked up 4 today at 99 cents a lb.

Going to my parent's house with my wife & daughter. Will be a traditional Italian Christmas dinner...but... I could not resist and had to make a stuffed pork loin....Keeping to a pretty traditional Italian ingredients, I stuffed it with procuitto, provelone, basil, baby spinach, garlic, mushroom, roasted red pepperrosemary, thyme, salt/pepper....

but then I hit it really hard with a mustard slather and some John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle Rub... I couldn't resist as I wanted to try it out.

I'll be cooking it at their house so no smoker.I'll do it with Indirect Heat on a Weber gas grill and use some liquid smoke to give it some hint of how it should have ideally been prepared.

My fingers are crossed on this one !!!

i dont get it... i decided to take the easy route and forgo the Q till Wednesday so I dont have to cook all day. Originally it was going to be a filet mignon, some ribs, puppy turds, shrimp and crab legs. Then realized that i was cooking for 15 when only 5 were coming. so, since i cut the menu drastically, why did I still cook all day?? No clue..

decided to go all seafood, so did antipasto and shrimp cocktails for appetizers and then fresh sauce and lobster stuffed ravioli followed up with King crab legs.. I had 10 lbs of crab legs that were as thick as my wrist and the length of my arm. Huge! Stemed them in beer and old bay.. holy sheet, those things were awesome... but we were all stuffed by the time i served them.. imagine if they rest of the stuf was make? either way, it didnt stop everyone from inhaling the crab legs. took some pics, can find my cable.., will post them tomorrow. Merry christmas all!!!

Here are the pics of our families Christmas Eve smorgasbord. We have our big Christmas celebration on Christmas eve and our feast is always heavily inspired by our Swedish heritage. Lots of snack food like sausage, shrimp, hearing, pate, apples, grapes and Champaign. After our snacking I brought out a good bottle of cabernet and served it with escargot and homemade French bread...
snails.jpg

snails1.jpg

Sausage tray ......

sausage.jpg

Here is the coffe cake for tomorrow made by my mother. ..... Two words... Snowey Mountains...
snowmountain.jpg

Gorgonzola Blue cheese balls..... WOW.....

cheeseballs.jpg

Last edited:
Mighty fine looking grub, seth. Hope ya'll enjoyed it.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

The Shop Christmas party went great friday. 16 people devoured the flats from 2 14# briskets, 3 racks of spares and 2 racks of BB's. Had just a few BB's and a few slices of brisket leftover. Got one of the highest compliments ever on my cooking, we have a fireman that works in our shop when he's not on duty , he said he couldn't wait to tell the guys at the station about the great eats.
Chili feed yesterday was great, stirred up the chili before going to bed friday night, let it sit in the fridge overnight (its always best that way).
Injected a ham yesterday, it and a 13# prime rib are going on around noon today for dinner this evening.
I'm having a ball cooking and eating, gonna hate going back to work tomorrow.

Happy Holidays!!

Back