Sweet Tea

Fortunately tea isn't expensive, so you can afford to experiment.

I think you should start here.
4 bags of lipton
1 cup of sugar
Pinch of salt

In a small pot of water bring the teabags, sugar, and salt to a boil. Then turn the heat off and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then remove the teabags and pour it into a 1 gallon pitcher. Then add ice water to make the rest of the gallon.

Done!

Try this. If the sweetness isn't to your liking adjust it accordingly on your next batch. Same thing with the strength of the tea flavor. I like my tea a little stronger than most so I use 5 tea bags.

Also if you are using decaf tea, it will take more to equal the same flavor.

Edit: If you want something really killer, cut the sugar back a little and add some of the juice from a can of Peaches in Heavy Syrup!

Southern Sweet Tea

2 family sized Luzianne tea bags
1 1/2 cups sugar
dash baking soda
1 gallon water

Boil 1 qt water. Add tea bags and pull off heat and let steep with lid on about 20 minutes. Put sugar in gallon container along with baking soda. Pour hot steeped tea over and stir til sugar disolves. Add rest of gallon with cold water. Put in fridge for a few hours or better overnight. Always sweeter the next day. Perfect every time.

Why, oh WHY did you mention Peach syrup in tea?????? My FAVORITE tea is peach tea!

I do 4 family sized Luzianne bags, cup and a half or so of sugar, but I also run mine through the coffee maker. We've got one of those Mr Coffee "filtered" coffee makers, and I mean filtered as in it's got a "change monthly" water filter that sits on top of the mesh, reuseable coffee filter. Open teabags, pour into the mesh coffee filter, set brew to strong, and let er' rip. We don't even use that little paper filter. Stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Got a smokin' deal on the coffee maker though LOL

What I've been doing is actually cooking down a can of peaches with about a cup or so of sugar. Been wanting to try peach puree but I think regular juice will do. Little off topic, but I remember going up north to NJ a few years back to visit a friend, and we stopped in McDonalds one day for a quick bite so we could resume railfanning (watching Amtrak fly by at 150+ mph on the Northeast Corridor). I got the usual dbl quarter w/cheese combo and out of pure habit, asked for sweet tea. Silence. She said "We have hot tea, and we have green tea. You may add sugar but we do not."

Luzianne is my choice, too. I make it strong, and pour the hot tea into my glass of ice ice to dilute it just the right amount.

The amount of sugar is a personal taste thing, IMO.

CD

Why, oh WHY did you mention Peach syrup in tea?????? My FAVORITE tea is peach tea!

I do 4 family sized Luzianne bags, cup and a half or so of sugar, but I also run mine through the coffee maker. We've got one of those Mr Coffee "filtered" coffee makers, and I mean filtered as in it's got a "change monthly" water filter that sits on top of the mesh, reuseable coffee filter. Open teabags, pour into the mesh coffee filter, set brew to strong, and let er' rip. We don't even use that little paper filter. Stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Got a smokin' deal on the coffee maker though LOL

What I've been doing is actually cooking down a can of peaches with about a cup or so of sugar. Been wanting to try peach puree but I think regular juice will do. Little off topic, but I remember going up north to NJ a few years back to visit a friend, and we stopped in McDonalds one day for a quick bite so we could resume railfanning (watching Amtrak fly by at 150+ mph on the Northeast Corridor). I got the usual dbl quarter w/cheese combo and out of pure habit, asked for sweet tea. Silence. She said "We have hot tea, and we have green tea. You may add sugar but we do not."

All of the Mickey D's around here actually have "brewed" sweet tea. It is pretty good. Our son works at one and occassionally he will bring home a gallon.

If anyone lives near a McCallister's Deli, they make really great tea.

3 Family size tea bags
we use 3/4 cup sugar, but most use 1 cup

boil water in sauce pan, remove from heat, place 3 tea bags in water for about 20 min.
gal jug ( old clean milk jug works) add sugar and then hot tea..shake to mix sugar and tea, fill up with cold water....
works for me. Not as sweet as Micky D's tea

I concur with the 3 family size tea bags. Luzianne of course.

At the Hut - we start by making simple syrup. Once that has gone clear & the sugar is completely dissolved - we let it go a little until small bubbles start to form (just the starting edge of boiling). We pull it from the heat - throw in some tea bags - & cover & let steep for 1 hour. This ends up being a concentrated base we can use to make multiple batches of Sweet Tea. Was told by someone from Georgia last week that he did not believe he could find great Q & Sweet Tea in New York but we proved him wrong on both counts.

Oh yes - the recipe is my grandmother's as well...

For a gallon of tea, I use 2 cups of sugar stirred into the pot of heating water until it's a syrup. Once it boils, I put 4 family sized bags of Luzianne tea into it, turn off the heat and cover for an hour or so. Then I funnel it into a gallon jug and top with water. Perfect for me :)

This how Granny BluDawg made it and I have never had a better glass of Texas Champagne.

6 lipton tea bags
1 cup sugar
*1/8 tsp baking soda
3 quarts + 1 cup ice water
* baking soda cuts the acid/tannins leaving a clean tea flavour

Put the 6 tea bags into a 1 quart mason jar and the sugar and baking soda into a pint jar
Bring 3 cups of water just to a boil pour 2 cups over the tea and 1 up over the sugar stir until the water turns clear
Steep the tea until the it is around room temp.
Remove the tea bags and squeeze them out into the mason jar. add the sugar syrup to the tea. pour the tea syrup into a 1 gal pitcher and fill with ice water. Enjoy!
Thanks everyone for all the great recipes and tips. For today, I decided on trying Bludawg's recipe. Turned out great! Only thing I may do next time is cut the sugar back to 3/4 cup. It's pretty farken Good! Thanks!

Gave the tea a try.
1 gal water
4 fam size tea bags (luzianne)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup sugar in the raw
Juice if 1 lemon
1/8 tsp baking soda

Boiled 1/2 gal water. Removed from heat and added the tea bags. Steeped for 8 minutes. Poured the hot water into a pitcher and added the sugar and baking soda. Then added the cool water. Stirred and added the lemon.
It was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to go to this BBQ joint about 25 years ago in Eastern NC , great tea . Always brought a pitcher out with the meal and left it on the table . Good hushpuppies too... BBQ restaurants are a dying breed...

I always use a bag of Eary Grey in my teas and 3 bags of green then 4 bags of LIpton or Luizanne

Back