Babybacks vs. St. Louis cut spares - a side by side cook and taste test

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The babybacks weighed in at 2 pounds 7 ounces, the spares at 2 pounds 11 ounces.
BabybacksandSpares01.jpg
BabybacksandSpares02.jpg

Both get a light coating of Tony C's Creole and a heavy dose of Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction, which has become my 'go to' rub for all things pork! If you haven't tried it yet, you really should, it's outstanding!
BabybacksandSpares03.jpg

I gave the spares a 45 minute head start
BabybacksandSpares04.jpg

then put the babybacks on right alongside.
BabybacksandSpares05.jpg

An hour later I melted a stick of butter, stirred in 2 tablespoons of honey and drizzled it on.
BabybacksandSpares06.jpg
BabybacksandSpares07.jpg

About 45 minutes after that, I wrapped them up in a sauce/glaze recipe I'm working on.
BabybacksandSpares09.jpg
BabybacksandSpares10.jpg

One hour in the foil, then another coat of glaze and back in the cooker until done.
BabybacksandSpares11.jpg

The results:
BabybacksandSpares12.jpg
BabybacksandSpares14.jpg
BabybacksandSpares15.jpg
BabybacksandSpares17.jpg

A perfect bite on the spare
BabybacksandSpares19.jpg

and the same on the babyback.
BabybacksandSpares18.jpg

So, which one is the winner? Both were great, but my wife and I preferred the spareribs. I think the extra fat gives them a slightly better flavor. Fat = Flavor after all... :thumb:

Great Pr0n! Love the color and bitemarks! The wife and I are partial to spares also. The added fat gives a little more flavor and tenderness. Great photo skills by the way!

Then you must be a surgeon. Beautifully done. I am moving to a Nakiri blade for the next dry run, then want to try a slicer.

Nice cook Bob! Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction is the bomb on pork!!

WOW! I was just thinking of doing a side by side comparison too, especially after all the questions on the site about the difference/preference. But the king beat me to it! But I'm still gonna try it myself :-D. Thanks Mister Bob, those looks delicious. And thanks for showing me that one can use butter instead of this vegetable spread/margarine in a bottle stuff most everyone seems to use. I have some friends who own a dairy, and when I do ribs for their Superbowl this year, I would like to not offend them!

Looks great!!!!

After the second glaze did you refoil them or let the ribs go straight back on the grill? How much longer did they cook after the second glazing? What temp?

Thanks!

Looks great!!!!

After the second glaze did you refoil them or let the ribs go straight back on the grill? How much longer did they cook after the second glazing? What temp?

Thanks!

No foil after the second glaze and back in the cooker until they're done. This time, it was about 45 minutes.

I think those could help convince the wife to give Spares another chance. That is if she didn't see the BBs because both look outstanding!

Back