The 2 day Brisket Cook: New Method?

sandiegobbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This is the second time I have done this and both times produced excellent brisket.

I use a UDS and usually do a hot and fast brisket.

The first two day brisket cook I cooked it hot and then foiled at 160. There was a lot of juice in the foil and I took the brisket out a little early due to time restraints (harder than probe tender) about 185-190 internal and then put it in a cooler for about 3 hours hoping that would finish it up.

I came back later and cut off a piece and it was definitely not done.

SO the next day I fired up the smoker again and put it in foiled until it was probe tender.

It turned out to one of the best briskets I ever did.

Fluke?

Well on Saturday I had the same situation but this one was intentional.

I put two briskets, one on each rack to cook and couldn't get my temp high as I like.

Eventually, it rose to 288 so I took one of the briskets out at 165 and put it in an aluminum foil pan and let it rest until I put it in the frig. to cook the next day.

The other brisket I finished and took out when probe tender.

I finished the other brisket the next day in the aluminum foil pan covered with foil until probe tender and took it to the football party.

There were several brisket virgins as San Diego is by NO means a BBQ hotbed!
And with Norv Turner as the man in charge we are not a Football hotbed either!!

Everyone loved the brisket but not the horrible 2 minute drill at the end of the game!

The brisket came out really great one of my best AGAIN!!??

I am wondering if this two day process somehow makes it more tender because the meat rests and then expands again with heating it a second time?

I am not a food scientist but I know that these two double cook briskets have been one of my best.

Coincidence? Maybe not.....

This is an interesting question and I don't know the answer. But if it works for you, why not? Sounds like a lot of work though.

Wonder what Patio Dadio would say about it?

This is an interesting question and I don't know the answer. But if it works for you, why not? Sounds like a lot of work though.

Wonder what Patio Dadio would say about it?

Not too hard to fire up the smoker the second day. The meat is already prepped and ready to go in. Pretty easy.

Of course it would be easier to just do it all one time.

Sometimes due to time restraints it can't be done.

At least I know that this method seems to work.

Sounds like a lot of time to have the meat in the danger zone. Most residential refrigerators aren’t well suited to cool a large chunk of meat like that to below 40° in a short amount of time. Then back in the danger zone when reheating for a period of time.

Cheers

Sounds like a lot of time to have the meat in the danger zone. Most residential refrigerators aren’t well suited to cool a large chunk of meat like that to below 40° in a short amount of time. Then back in the danger zone when reheating for a period of time.

Cheers

I let the brisket cool before I put it in the frig.

I am still standing and writing this post so all is good.

I am still standing and writing this post so all is good.

This time.

So how long do you think the meat was in the danger zone of 40° to 140° during the cool down? Then back in that temp. range for the second cook?

Food safety is nothing to mess with IMO. Just sayin

This time.

So how long do you think the meat was in the danger zone of 40° to 140° during the cool down? Then back in that temp. range for the second cook?

Food safety is nothing to mess with IMO. Just sayin

Listen.

When you cook a brisket until it is done don't you let it rest and then throw it in the frig.?

I fail to see the difference.

Then on the second cook, the meat is cooked more than if you put it in raw and it cooks less time.

I think you are being the food police when it is not necessary at all.

Please give it up I don't want to get in a pissing match.

Interesting SDBBQ. I'd love to give it a try, but I wouldn't have the will to finish the 2nd day. Heck I have a hell of a time resting for 45 minutes.

Interesting SDBBQ. I'd love to give it a try, but I wouldn't have the will to finish the 2nd day. Heck I have a hell of a time resting for 45 minutes.

I would rather do it all in one cook but sometimes time restraints don't let me do that.

But I am surprised that these 2 day cooks have come out very well.

Jeez Boys
This aint new lots of small joints do it
I know a guy who's usual cook plan on his smallish smoker
Brisket and Butts
Heavy Smoke at 275 to 150 internal 4 to 5 hours wrap in foil
allow to cool
Reheat in the oven to goal temp
Turns out fine BBQ

Jeez Boys
This aint new lots of small joints do it
I know a guy who's usual cook plan on his smallish smoker
Brisket and Butts