DIY rotisserie

S

sciknen

Okay not really DIY. Well partly not.

I'm having my first pig roast on July 4th with a bunch of friends.
I couldn't afford a $400 motorized rotisserie. I found a good one for $90 non-motorized on ebay.

My plan is to find an electric motor somewhere and go to town.

Wondering if anyone here has done the same thing.

If so any advice?

If you have pictures don't be shy, post em up.

Any good recipes?

She is gonna be a 25-30lb pig. On the small side, but you have to start somewhere.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Also. New here. Thanks for having me. I'm hoping this rotisserie will be the start of a long and lustful affair with grilling.

Can you put a hand crank on it and just give it a quarter turn every 5 minutes or so? Or less often even?

There is a handle on it.. So if I can't do it with a motor I can do it by hand. I'm just trying to figure out an easier way so I don't have to sit right next to it for hrs.

That cuban style looks pretty sweet. I think I would use that if i went real big. I'm only cooking the 25lber

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I found a good one for $90 non-motorized on ebay.

Post a picture of the one you bought.

I've seem folks use motors to drive compost tumblers. Lots of interesting ideas out there (electric drills, old washing machine motors, ceiling fans, dishwasher motors, etc.)

yes, its german. you can use google translation. but the pics are probably what you want.

When I get it I will definitely post a picture up. My buddies think I could use a drill.

Drill may work as long as it has the torque and your pig is well balanced. Look for a cheap 1/2" drive corded drill. The junk ones my boss buys even have a dial next to the trigger so it only goes in so far, thus controlling the speed. You could set it for a really low speed and tape the trigger. Iffy but you may get it to work. Drills tend to get hot too. Fan maybe? I wouldn't use a drill i cared about.

Google and take a look at those homemade compost tumblers and soil sifters

Attach a bicycle tire rim to your spit rod. Then attach a small flywheel to your drill. Connect them together with a fan belt.

You could also attach a rubber wheel to your drill and let the friction of the wheel turn the larger flywheel that's connected to the spit rod.

Main thing is to figure out a way to keep the pig on the spit rod and keep it balanced so it doesn't bog down (probably need some counter weights that you can attach to the flywheel)

Back