• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

competition ribs

T

Thunder's Wife

Just wondering how many of you use bbq sauce on your competition ribs?

I only sauce our ribs about 70% of the time.....................the other 30% my team mate Jason puts on the sauce.:bow:

KC Bobby makes a point -- a really good rib (good meat, cooked well) needs only a little sauce. BALANCE is the name of the game in competition cooking. As a judge I look for properly cooked meat, some interesting flavor from the rub, and just enough sauce not to overpower the other two elements. Unfortunately, I think too many teams use sauce for color and appearance, forgetting that appearance is the lowest score weighting. The two greatest errors made are (1) too much smoke -- makes the meat bitter, and (2) too much sauce -- hides everything else.

If I had to guess, you're getting the KCBS (and FBA) answers. In MBN it's about 60/40
sauce to no sauce, and just as many sans sauce win as not. When competing in
something other than MBN we sauce, lightly. In MBN, IF they're perfect we'll present
them without, otherwise we'll sauce again ever-so-lightly.

i always brush sauce on several times during the last 30 min in the smoke but only on the top side.i also purchase our sauce at the store on the way to a comp and only add a little honey.have done very well with it too.

I glaze our ribs the alst 10-15 minutes of the cook. Then MAYBE I'll brush a little dripping-diluted sauce on the ribs we select for turn-in just prior to going in the box. Gives 'em a nice "shiny" appearance.

Don't put any sauce on my bbq ribs. The taste of the meat, along with the rub and smokey flavor is enough for me.

...and I'm guessing you don't compete in KCBS comps? Not knocking you, but I have seldom seen anyone pop into the top 10 without a nice sweet sticky glaze on their ribs in a KCBS comp.

...and I'm guessing you don't compete in KCBS comps? Not knocking you, but I have seldom seen anyone pop into the top 10 without a nice sweet sticky glaze on their ribs in a KCBS comp.

I second that!!! I'm a CBJ turned comp' cook and I would also not turn in a rib entry without some type of glaze!!!! (But not tooo much to take away from the meat!!!) :thumb:

Who the heck wants ribs without sauce ? That's like eating mashed potatoes without gravy !

Back