Man, this is some great info! I plan on starting to build my UDS ASAP! Trying to locate a barrell myself but not having any luck so far.

Man, this is some great info! I plan on starting to build my UDS ASAP! Trying to locate a barrell myself but not having any luck so far.
I found one. They even paid me to haul it off for um! Didn't even need burnin' out. Liner was already peelin' off.:laugh:
hazardous_drum-3.jpg

My dear Friend fits the redneck mod to well.
When we started on our UDS's he thought he had a bit to drill out the bottom intakes.

No Such luck. His solution....

He used his cutting torch to cut the holes, then welded the pipe nipples into place...

The drum should be up for a seasoning run pretty soon

Uds Lids...

I use water heater pans I buy at ACE Hardware. They cost about $18-$20 or so. The 24" Water Heater Pan works great as a lid and you can use use the 20" for an ash catcher. Only use the aluminum pans, not the galvanized ones! We don't want anyone getting sick.

http://www.acehardware.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=water%20heater%20pan&origkw=water%20heater%20pan&sr=1

I glued some garage weatherstripping I had to the inside of the lid for a tight seal. Nothing fancy, just used liquid nails and it's held up for two years of Farking at least every other weekend. I screwed on an old handle I had in the garage and wrapped it in parachute cord to insulate the handle. Then I drilled about ten holes in the lid for the exhaust.

Attachments

• IMAG0084.JPG
    IMAG0084.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,756
  • 07-07-10_1041.jpg
    07-07-10_1041.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,750
  • 07-07-10_1040.jpg
    07-07-10_1040.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,750
What size pipe nipples do you guys use? I was going to use 4 inch ones so I could set the grate for the coals on them but am reconsidering now that I've seen some of your guys ash catchers.

New guy here, just thought i would share how i make my charcoal baskets. Its a 15 inch front wheel drive rim with 3 bolts either welded or bolted to the bottom, then drop in a weber smoky joe charcoal grate and wash it and burn it. 10 bucks for a bent rim and 10 bucks for the grate. No welding or cutting, works great. If this has already been posted i apologize, i just havent seen it yet on here.
09241012071.jpg

Haven't seen this one before as well!
Very nice!

Would also like to add that it has to be a front wheel drive rim. The bolt face is offset to one side on a front wheel drive rim giving you almost 9 inches of depth. Rear wheel drive rims have the bolt face centered in the wheel. Of course theres alot of different wheels out there but this does work great.

As pointed out in another thread, let us know how it does as far as airflow. Sure does seem that it starts with limited airflow from the sides and bottom and would quickly clog with ashes.

Air flow is good. I usually only have one intake hole open for smokin. It will run ten hours an the rim will hold about a half a bag of lump. I'll get a better pic of it with the grate in it.

Last edited:
heres a top pic, I made this coal grate out of expanded steel but a weber smoky joe charcoal grate should fit.
cid__0928101227.jpg

used the original plan from Norco and completed it a couple weeks ago. Did some ribs and it turned out great.:clap2:
Pictures are on the UDS thread (yeah the long one) :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for it.

Believe me if I can do it anyone can. Build your own, you won't be disappointed. :shock: :bounce:

I just got two drums today and plan on using this as a guide, I also have a stack of old disk blades that I was thinking about using at a heat shield or maybe weld a piece in the middle of a disk blade to make a water pan. I understand that the beauty of a UDS is that it doesn't need a heat shield, but what about the moisture? BTW, this thread is VERY useful.

My small contribution here......

I found drums for $20 at a hair products mfg place, they had light mineral oil in them. They were out of open end ones so I will start my first one with a closed end one.

Back