Discada Pron....

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Working on a article on Plow/Harrow Disc Cooking and, well, needed pron. Only way to get pron, is to cook up some pron!
Well, first I noticed that I'm running out of space. I may need to convince Mrs. Brisket that we need a bigger home as "MY" children are outgrowing their current space. I fired up Q Can II and other than a slight leak around the lid, it puffed away like a Drum should.
4414911010_d7762952c3.jpg

I wanted to pay a little tribute to my late Grandfather and use his disc/disco to do the cooking. It's currently my dad's but he's told me it will be mine some day.
I talked to my dad and he gave me some history on the disc. My dad remembers when my great grandfather gave it to my grandfather back when my dad was very young. It's origins go back to Chihuahua Mexico. It was a tool that was used daily to make meals.(no indoor stoves much less gas in the home) It was commonly set upon a 5 gallon steel bucket with a door cut in the bottom and it was fed with a wood fire. The metal on this disc is much closer to cast iron than just steel. It takes very little heat to get it hot and keep it there. I use way more heat with the steel disc that I have. My dad is 60 and says that it's easily close to 100 years old. A true piece of history. He also said it's very likely that it was actually used at some point by my great grandad to plow his fields.
4414143713_5c282ed552_b.jpg

4414911540_5c1b144159_b.jpg

4414911890_8789854db4_b.jpg

The ingredients. Basic discada. Beef, chicken, turkey, chorizo, weiners, polish sausage, garlic(LOTS), onion (white and long green), radish, japs, yellow squash, BACON!, pepperoni, tomato, cilantro.
4414144621_0444c833cf_b.jpg

Beer is an ingredient. My grandad, dad, have used it, I'm not going to break tradition.....no way, no how!
4414912484_897525cef0_b.jpg

Let the rising steam heat the torts.
4414145267_9fe4f0e5e9_b.jpg

NJOY!! Some salsa de arbol, and Mrs. Brisket's chicken salad and guac! Hot Dang it was good!
Had some discada with eggs for breakfast.............MmMMMMmmMmMMmmmmMMmmm!

Bob

Last edited:
Oh... my... GAWD!!! Nice job, Bro! I love the seasoning on the disc! That is like an old cast iron pan that has been handed down through the generations!

The discs are fairly easy. Any Farm/Tractor supply place will have them in stock. From there, just plug up the hole in the center and grind down the welds. Handles are usually old horseshoes, but can be anything.
The burner stand I built about 3-4 years ago and I made ffrom steel that I scrounged and a an old tire rim.
Pretty much let you imagination do the work. I think there's a thread somewhere in here. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks

Here's another Discada thread with some pics of my disc that my dad gave me for Father's Day a few years back. Mine is made from the bell end of the internal water heater tank.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63155&highlight=discada

Some info from Mark
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57238&highlight=discada
My BIL's disco set up and a big arse batch of chilibeans I made on my burner and the vessel in this pic holding the beans belonged to my grandmother.
Notice the handles on my BIL's disc.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38982&highlight=discada
He NEVER gets his shirt dirty either. LOL.

Last edited:
The discs are fairly easy. Any Farm/Tractor supply place will have them in stock. From there, just plug up the hole in the center and grind down the welds. Handles are usually old horseshoes, but can be anything.
The burner stand I built about 3-4 years ago and I made ffrom steel that I scrounged and a an old tire rim.
Pretty much let you imagination do the work. I think there's a thread somewhere in here. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks

disc002.jpg

Bob,

Every time I see discada pictures I get the urge to take a little drive..... about midnight. :twisted:

disc002.jpg

Bob,

Every time I see discada pictures I get the urge to take a little drive..... about midnight. :twisted:

You could take your pick of discs from that selection! Maybe even bring one back for every day of the week!:twisted::wink:

Dang,, First That food looked great Bob,, I wouldn't mind haveing a couple of them with a Beer.. second,, Wish I was still working,, I used to deliver Heavy Rental equipment to a lot of farms here in SW Florida, I can't count how many of those Disc's I've seen in the Scrap Bins at the Farms when they change them out.. What a shame....

Your going to need some big arse wrenches to get those off that disk.
Ive changed a few out in my younger years.

We have 2 farm supply stores with in 10 miles of where I live, but you can order them online from Tractor Supply co. or some other farm supply store.

Around here used or damaged ones are very hard to come by as there used for dock support leg bases.
I built dock supports some years ago, got damaged discs from my now deceased FIL.

Last edited:
Dang,, First That food looked great Bob,, I wouldn't mind haveing a couple of them with a Beer.. second,, Wish I was still working,, I used to deliver Heavy Rental equipment to a lot of farms here in SW Florida, I can't count how many of those Disc's I've seen in the Scrap Bins at the Farms when they change them out.. What a shame....

What a shame indeed. A decent disc here with the handles on it sells for no less than 40 bucks and that's for small disc. Cool thing is you can make a lid with another disc. The lids are great for frying and steaming. My BIL has a lid for his. Great for when he makes whole fried black bass or tilapia. Prevents lots of splattering.

Bull......Please explain how they are used as dock supports. Something totally new to me.

Thanks everyone!

Bob

Bob, my grandparents had a little cottage on a lake.
The dock rested on concrete blocks that you had to put in every spring every fall.
The beams of the dock rested on the stacked blocks.
Then somebody mfg aluminum pipes with a cross bar that took the place of the concrete blocks.
They were over a hundred bucks apiece.
I took some discs, inverted them and welded them to some pipe that fit inside the disk hole in the center. I welded the cross a bar to the 2 upright pieces of pipe and that held the dock.
Much easier to carry an H shaped piece of steel out in the water than say 10 concrete blocks for a section of dock.
I took care full measurements before I did all the cutting and welding and they turned out great, price probably ten dollars a piece for materials and welding rod.
The disks were inverted, that kept them from sinking down into the sand at the lake.
The dock was more stable on the home made supports than on the cement blocks.

Back