American Royal

eap0510

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I will be judging at this year's American Royal and will bringing my girlfriend along as well. I have two questions for those who either live in the area or have been there before.

First, I would like to know where I can go to get some kick butt brisket while visiting.

Second, I would like to take my girl out for a very nice dinner while there as well. I am looking for a place that pretty requires a coat and tie to eat there. I know that places like this are a dieing breed but there are still a few around. I just hope that there is still one around Kansas City.

-Eric

I would second LC's for their burnt ends. A lot of bbq places in KC slice their brisket very thin and it doesn't give you the full brisket experience.

For a restaurant, you might want to try the American. Here is a link to their web site. http://theamericankc.com/

I have been to Arthur Bryant's a few years back and the burnt ends were fantastic!!! I know he also sells meat by the pound for dine-in.

I have been to Arthur Bryant's a few years back and the burnt ends were fantastic!!! I know he also sells meat by the pound for dine-in.

I was judging the AR last October and went to Arthur Bryant's for BEs and I honestly couldn't taste them as they were drowned in sauce! Got pulled pork and BEs and all I could taste was the sauce. Their sauce is not bad, but I would have just bought a slice of bread to put the sauce on - would have tasted the same as the pork and BEs but cost a whole lot less.

Just saying...

Go see Phil and Linda Hopkins at Smokin' Guns BBQ in North Kansas City. Good burnt ends and other meats... http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/
They were GC at The Jack, so I think you could call them a World Champion.

Okay, I live in Kansas City and have for 26 years....For the bbq your looking for, kick butt brisket, you HAVE to go to Jack Stack. It's far and away the most consistent bbq in KC, and their cheesy corn and beans are seriously to die for. Danny Edwards is EASY my second choice, yes over the famous oklahoma joes. Its only open for lunch though monday - friday. He smokes everything that night and is personally there preparing the food and slicing it for you.

For a good restaurant.... Look no further than Pierpont's at Union Station. You will be amazed first by the building because its absolutely unbelievable, and the food will blow you away.

I've lived here for a very long time, and promise you. You will not be dissapointed in these 3 choices.

For dinner I am going to suggest Pirpos - http://www.piroposkc.com It has FANTASTIC food and a great view of the city. Make sure you make a reservation and ask for one of the window tables so you can see the view. You want the Briarcliff location.

I'm going to stay away from the brisket question. lol

For dinner I am going to suggest Pirpos - http://www.piroposkc.com It has FANTASTIC food and a great view of the city. Make sure you make a reservation and ask for one of the window tables so you can see the view. You want the Briarcliff location.

I'm going to stay away from the brisket question. lol

That's cause the best brisket in the world can only be had at a certain house in Piper. :thumb:

Also thanks for the tip on Pirpos. Sounds fabulous. I need to take Janet there. Is is worth it to stay at the Inn too? It would be a great weekend getaway.

And thanks to brandon. Your recommendations are rock solid. :thumb:

That's cause the best brisket in the world can only be had at a certain house in Piper. :thumb:

Also thanks for the tip on Pirpos. Sounds fabulous. I need to take Janet there. Is is worth it to stay at the Inn too? It would be a great weekend getaway.

And thanks to brandon. Your recommendations are rock solid. :thumb:

Haha!

Pirpos was the last dinner I had before going on my prep diet, for my In-laws birthdays. It Was Heaven!!! Can't wait to go there again.

What Inn??

I'll 2nd Piropos for the "nice dinner" as well as Jack Stack brisket but... If you're willing to drive 45 minutes, Porky's Blazin BBQ just south of Grain Valley is my favorite for baby backs

^^^ shirknwrk knows of porky's!!! I live a few minutes away from there and it is really great. HOWEVER, plowboys just opened up in blue springs and I definantly recommend it. Grand Champion of the american royal, he knows what he's doin.

If you are driving, and passing through St Louis, check out Pappy's Smokehouse.. Good eats.

Back