BBQ Food Truck questions

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What smokers are good to place into a Food Truck? Do most BBQ Food Truck smoke their meat somewhere and just place in warmers in their truck to sell that day or do they smoke all day?

I've seen quite a few different smokers on food trucks, stickburners, gas and electric. It all depends on personal preference. I think most food trucks smoke on the meat on the truck, better quality that way and nothing sells BBQ better than the smell of smoke!

Part of it depends on what your health dept will allow. I think Big Belly is right, a SP just seems to fit the bill for a truck.

I've been eyeing a J&R Mfg Little Red Smokehouse. I'll posts link later. This is a completely wood fired oven/smoker. The problem is, it weighs 2200#. :(

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
A restaurant trick...

No smoking necessary.

Dust some ribs, put in a pan with liquid smoke, cover, and place in an oven.

Finish on a grill if they have one.

Probably most on this site has eaten ribs prepared this way but not know it.

Please serve your meat this way, so I know where to never eat BBQ from.

A restaurant trick...

No smoking necessary.

@smokethis

Ever eaten ribs at chilis, fridays, longhorn, roadhouse, o'charleys, applebees, ruby tuesday, etc??

Then you've eaten ribs prepared this way.:loco::loco:

surprissssse, surprisssse

yes, bryan is correct on the weight, our sp 500 weighs about 1,400..the 700 about 1,800....Donies sp 350 about 1,100 and I am guesing ole hickory is the same..However a great rotisierie, wood / propane fired and produces great real BBQ...Use as a holding oven, prep oven etc..other ovens are good also, just have to figure what fits your set up and talk to owners and visit before buying..

What smokers are good to place into a Food Truck? Do most BBQ Food Truck smoke their meat somewhere and just place in warmers in their truck to sell that day or do they smoke all day?
also remember the smoke and pulling the meat out of the smoker is part of the show..

Last edited:
A restaurant trick...

No smoking necessary.

BullS*$# - I highly doubt that most members here wouldn't be able to tell after the first bite or two.

@smokethis

Ever eaten ribs at chilis, fridays, longhorn, roadhouse, o'charleys, applebees, ruby tuesday, etc??

Then you've eaten ribs prepared this way.:loco::loco:

surprissssse, surprisssse

Those are all terrible. Your point has not been made.

Check with your local Health District/Department BEFORE you purchase the smoker. We have a HD in this state that will not ever approve a tow behind smoker for any mobile food vendor in their County.

We have 2 trucks out here in LA and Orange County - Happy to share what we know. PM me with a phone number and I will give you a call. Best of luck!

Although I have seen plenty of BBQ trucks that have no smokers, that all the meat is commissary cooked, there have been some that used Southern Prides, the gas option is a huge plus for many vendors. I am seeing a few of the Extreme Trailers of late, that have Backwoods, Spicewines or other cabinet type cookers showing up. These are very cool rigs and the cookers are hard to beat.

In my area, it has been a long time since I saw anyone with a food truck and a offset type or pull behind cooker, I suspect this is more about convenience and ease of operation than any legal requirement.

The restaurants I mentioned cook ribs no different than a million mothers do every day.

In the oven.

It doesn't make it right nor did I say they were good, but thats what they do.

If you don't like me explaining how some restaurants cook their ribs.....

Then don't tell us how you cook yours......

Last edited by a moderator:

^^^^Here's where you got in trouble. I would venture to say that everybody on this board can tell the difference between ribs cooked in an oven with liquid smoke and ribs cooked in a smoker over wood/charcoal.

^^^^Here's where you got in trouble. I would venture to say that everybody on this board can tell the difference between ribs cooked in an oven with liquid smoke and ribs cooked in a smoker over wood/charcoal.

I never mentioned how ribs should taste, how they should be cooked, anything about wood or charcoal or endorsed restaurants methods of cooking ribs.

I only told how they are cooked in many restaurants.

If anyone doesn't like it, bite me.

And don't tell us how you cook yours.

:violin:

I never mentioned how ribs should taste, how they should be cooked, anything about wood or charcoal or endorsed restaurants methods of cooking ribs.

I only told how they are cooked in many restaurants.

If anyone doesn't like it, bite me.

And don't tell us how you cook yours.

:violin:

Again, telling "us" how restaurants cook them wasn't the issue. Most people know that. The fact that YOU SAID not knowing the difference is another story. If people couldn't tell the difference then a lot of folks are wasting their time and money don't you think? :wacko:

Back