Vortex Substitute

el_matt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I keep reading about the Vortex, and have been to their site. Seems like a solid product. I'd like to get one, but it is a bit pricey. I was wondering, would 3 or 4 fire bricks produce the same effect? I imagine it would work similarly. If it does, I just may have to break down and get one, for 2 reasons.

1: Don't have to deal with arranging the bricks, everytime I want to use it.
2: Who here doesn't want a new BBQ toy?

Any and all input is welcomed.

Matt

I think not on the bricks. They will absorb a lot of heat. It will take more than four bricks. Angling the bricks is going to leave gaps. Like I said in another post, some cold rolled steel, cutters, drill and pop rivet tool, you could make one. I could have done that but driving to get the materials, cutting it, assembling it, etc., my time is worth way more than that. I'll spend the forty bucks.

Thanks Don. Didn't think about the heat absorbing. When you say it would take more than 4 bricks, what did you mean?

Matt

How much do they cost ?

It may very well be worth giving it a shot, seeing as how much support they are getting.

Run away from the Benjy vortex as fast as you can.

For the medium (fits a 22.5 kettle) it runs about $40. Whether or not it's "worth it" is relative to your own situation in my opinion. Pretty much like anything else in the BBQ world. :biggrin1:

This is a great product, but is it worth $40.00? It is if they can get it and while I was skeptical, I am thrilled with how it works.

I get the 26.75 up to temp much faster, the coals are much hotter for steaks and chops and I think I am actually saving coals in the long run because I get to where I am going faster.

If you can make one, like the UDS make a Vortex. Otherwise, buy one!

Yes it was pricey but I love using it. If you have the tools and know how to use them, then yes it would be much cheaper to build your own. For me, it was worth the money. Not sure how much money you would save doing it yourself when you conider the price of S/S. and your time. It was much easier and faster to order online, two days later I was using it.

I made my own from a $9 stainless steel vegetable pan insert. See it here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.807036462710837.1073741844.116187658462391&type=3

I have a larger one in the works and I'll post any results in this album.
:thumb: That would work and if you already have the tools would be less than the cost of a Vortex. I don't disagree a person can make their own, but not everybody has the tools and materials available to do so. I do have the tools and can get the materials, but for me it would be a drive to get the materials and time. So, metal maybe $10, gas maybe $5, hour of time to get the material, another hour to get out the tools, manufacture, clean up. I bought mine for $48 shipped, knock off $15 for my materials and that makes my hourly rate $16.50/hr. I've got a career and a family to take care of, so my time is worth way more than that so I order it online and wait for it to arrive, spending my time on something of more value.

:thumb: That would work and if you already have the tools would be less than the cost of a Vortex. I don't disagree a person can make their own, but not everybody has the tools and materials available to do so. I do have the tools and can get the materials, but for me it would be a drive to get the materials and time. So, metal maybe $10, gas maybe $5, hour of time to get the material, another hour to get out the tools, manufacture, clean up. I bought mine for $48 shipped, knock off $15 for my materials and that makes my hourly rate $16.50/hr. I've got a career and a family to take care of, so my time is worth way more than that so I order it online and wait for it to arrive, spending my time on something of more value.

...well, seems like you got it all figured out then?

...well, seems like you got it all figured out then?
I do, thanks! :icon_smile_tongue:
However, your idea takes a lot out of the equation and had I seen something like that earlier I may have gotten creative. I'm all for saving some money but sometimes creating my own stuff ends up costing more than if I had just bought it, especially when I factor in time. Then there is always the enjoyment of creating something and I do realize that has to also factor in.

It is 'just a cone' but that is the beauty of it. The angles when going hot/fast and the deflection angle when going low/slow.

There are a lot of do-it-yourself versions out there, which as a UDS guy, I completely understand. I enjoy seeing what people come up with.

The Vortex is 20 gauge Stainless Steel at just under 2 pounds. Cut, Rolled, and Welded in AMERICA

I was lucky and had an old stainless beer fermenter I cut the cone off of and used the rest for a beast of a UDS charcoal ring. That being said I use it almost everytime I use my Weber. Set it up for sear w the narrow end up and it does a great job of providing even high heat to everything outside the opening. Then When the meat or Corn! Is almost done I finish it over thr opening for an intense sear. Love it. Great for roasting corn and green chilles to.

I'm trying to figure out how I haven't heard of one till just now - did a little looking around - very cool idea!

Back