• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone Smoke Barracuda? Need Recipes!

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Brethren,
I have a few barracuda fillets I would like to cook up.

Was wondering if anybody here knows the best way to cook this fish?
Ive done some googling on the subject but as always, I usually end up with better answers here from the Brethren:becky:

Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_7174_zps5aec8f6e.jpg

IMG_7176_zps7a3d773e.jpg

i say kill them before they kill you, throw the boidies in the ocean and go get a filet o fish you guys

Other than their Florida cousins scaring the holy CRAP outta me when I was a kid, I don't know much about them. They're very pretty fish, sleek and athletic. But I wouldn't know how to go about cooking one to get the best out of it. I bet Jed, Bluetang or Aquablue22 would know.

Don't have a recipe but i would call the local marina and ask them. i do know when i was a kid we caught alot of barries, really gamey! when i catch them now, i usually give them away. But def try to get a recipe from the other captains....

I can't resist for my 2000 Quality Post.............Why not just treat them like any other fish. Try a couple and see how it turns out. or try this while listening to this..............

I found this on a fishing site:
OK, remove the skin from the fillets and remove the blood-line from the fillet. This is very important for me with Tuna, Barracuda, etc..

Marrinate the fillets in the frig (approx 15-20 minutes total both sides) in "Itallian dressing (w/cheese flakes)" that I get from CostCo. The vinegar in the Italian draws out alot of the oil in the Cuda and the seasonings and cheese flakes melt into the meat. I marinate in a glass Pyrex dish, I dont have the fillet's "swimming" in the marinade; just enough to cover the edges of the fillets, then turn the fillets over half way thru the time.

When grilling I use a medium to medium-low heat so the meat doesnt stick to the grill. My goal in grilling all fish is to cook until the flesh is opaque/translucent in color. With Cuda you want to be careful not to turn the fish over on the grill too much for it will fall apart.

Since I LOVE garlic this is totally optional. You can sprinkle small amount of minced garlic (or splash of minced garlic juice) on the fillets. Or substitute lime/lemon for the garlic.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bt_-R5LInU"]Heart - Barracuda (HQ) - YouTube[/ame]

Barracuda is super high in mercury. Are you sure you want to eat it (or at least that quantity of it)?

you are lucky they didn't bite your fingers off

heart is AWESome band, great song!!!!

only good fish for the grill is trout

all ocean fish that are actually good for eating are best deep fried, why wreck your grill?

ps - all fish makes for good compost after though, i have my compost bin next to my grills ( i have 3 grills actually) and an out door patio

Barracuda is super high in mercury. Are you sure you want to eat it (or at least that quantity of it)?

Small ones should be Ok. Same goes for Kingfish in South Florida.

With the Cuda's in FL or the Caribbean, the bigger threat is Ciguatera, a toxin from eating reef fish over time.

those baracudas look pretty BIG so yeah good job catching them

i wouldnt trust that them fish have some secret hidden bone sharp in it that would cut your gut, nasty things

they'd be sharp pieces of bone like all the fish in your catch on fire river in cleveland

Wait, wut? As far as smoking barracuda I've no clue. Native Floridiot here and we used them for bait strips/chum or released them. Very oily fish and if not bled after catching, and put on ice I'd think not. Maybe good for fish dip though.

Back