• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Ribs

FatDaddy said:
number 1 rule of the rib club.............
Dont talk about the rib club...........
On that note.
I want in lol..
My ribs come out pretty tasty, but i can never get a good glaze on them . of course i just sauce mine bout 20 min before i pull em out. they usually dont look as pretty as the ones yall posted.
should i thin out my sauce for the glaze? or do u make a glaze out of other ingreidents besides the sauce?

My sauce is doctored, add butter for shine, could add honey for sweet but what you add is dictated by your rub.

Wine & Swine said:
I always have removed the membrane but this was a big point of contention by Jack McDavid in Will's rib demo last weekend. His two reasons against were it helps hold the rack together (not sure about that) and that it is much easiers to remove after cooking.

Well it depends on the purpose of the ribs. For competition, not removing the membrane until the end because its 'easier' does not sound like a good idea. I'm also thinking that one would be peeling off smoke, spice and bastes instead of infusing the meat with these flavors.

Wine & Swine said:
I always have removed the membrane but this was a big point of contention by Jack McDavid in Will's rib demo last weekend. His two reasons against were it helps hold the rack together (not sure about that) and that it is much easiers to remove after cooking.
maybe that's why he didn't get past round 1 in the bbq championship series. :shock:

joking....

ique said:
Practice? :shock: :eusa_clap

There is no way in hell you will convince me that you don't practice..
makes us pratice even harder. Better to burn a practice meat then
competition meat.

YankeeBBQ said:
No, yes, maybe
It's hard to say. But I do know that Candy on a bone does pretty good ;)

2005 Jack Daniels First Place Ribs
2006 NEBS Ribs team of the year
2006 Rhode Island 1st Place Ribs
2006 Rhode Island 1st place Country Style Ribs
2006 Peter's Pond 1st Place Ribs
2006 Lake Placid 1st Place Ribs
2006 Harpoon 1st Place Ribs
2006 NKC 2nd Place Ribs
2006 Grill Kings 2nd Place Ribs

Steve

I am humble in your presence Oh rib master...
Will never even question the power of Rib Candy
never did find that winning Rib recipe in any of those
Yankee swap packages.. mmmm
That's just 'OK' with me..

Nitrofly said:
There is no way in hell you will convince me that you don't practice..
makes us pratice even harder. Better to burn a practice meat then
competition meat.

Oh, I practice. I cooked white meat chicken twice a week for the month or so leading up to the Jack.

I was actually responding to Steve's comment, he has always claimed to me that he never practices.

Nitrofly said:
I am humble in your presence Oh rib master...
Will never even question the power of Rib Candy
never did find that winning Rib recipe in any of those
Yankee swap packages.. mmmm
That's just 'OK' with me..

Maybe I should inspect my Yankee Swap 'present' a bit closer.

ique said:
Oh, I practice. I cooked white meat chicken twice a week for the month or so leading up to the Jack.

I was actually responding to Steve's comment, he has always claimed to me that he never practices.

As a rule I don't normally. Once in a great great while I'll try something at home. It's much more likely we'll try it at a comp first.

YankeeBBQ said:
As a rule I don't normally. Once in a great great while I'll try something at home. It's much more likely we'll try it at a comp first.

Sounds like a hustle to me. "I never shot pool before. It must be beginner's luck..."

Sawdustguy said:
Some use the meat pulled back from the bone by a 1/2" as an indication but we grab the bottom of the rack with a set of thongs and try to stand the rack up. If they bend in a V shape without breaking away from the bone they are done.

Pass it along, Sawdustguy uses his thongs to check his meat!:eek:

I use tongs to check my ribs.

Mike

Back