Mods to my home build smoker - pr0n

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A buddy and I both had yesterday off from work so we decided to build a mobile cart for my t-shaped smoker. I wanted something that would a) made the smoker easy to move around the yard and b) be able to slide in a 2" receiver hitch.

Here is what we came up with (bear with me on the cellphone pictures, I'll get some better ones tonight).

1st up - a shot of my T-smoker on the left and my buddies UDS build on the right (probably more to come on that in the near future)

Framework welded up, hole drilled in the 2" receiver for the hitch pin

Test fitting the frame to the axle

Frame and axle mated together, painted and burning on the smoker. Note the peg leg - it's a grade 8 bolt currently that is threaded into a nut we welded on. Should provide a little adjustability in uneven ground. I figured if I need more adjustability I'll pick up a different bolt with longer threads. This one came off my buddies Jeep suspension after he put a lift on, guessing it'll be strong enough for this application. :becky:

View from the front (prior to touching up the paint)

Last night after I got home I touched up the paint, tonight I'll get some additional pictures of the rig plus some pictures in "tailgate" mode hanging off the back of my Jeep. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, going to fire it up this weekend and cook something, not sure what yet.

There will be two final mods, one is a bottle opener and the second will be a removal American Flag to fly off her whenever I'm cooking with it. :clap2:

Love the bottle cap remover...great addition. T design ain't so bad either. Enjoy it and let us know how she cooks

Hardluck - I picked up the latches, hinges, spring handle and thermometer at www.kck.com. He's got a good supply of BBQ pieces and parts.

Oh and she cooks...

null_zpse97b3c8f.jpg

null-2-3.jpg

null-7-1.jpg

Thin blue...

null-4-2.jpg

Got rained out last night so better pictures of the finished project coming later today. Thinking about getting a chunk of salmon to toss on there for supper tonight.

Some pictures from tonight's cook...

null_zps26b476e7.jpg

null_zps9043af4a.jpg

null_zpsc1507a29.jpg

The goods...2 1/4 pound chunk of sockeye salmon over cherry...

null_zps24cefb1e.jpg

Salmon ready, couple chops for the wife

null_zpsf96b27db.jpg

Never made it to the house, toolbox for a table was good enough

null_zpse4ba0dc2.jpg

Back