Do you take a camper to competitions?

Crawgator

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Question for the competitors with campers/RV's.

Is there a limit on the size of the campers allowed at most competitions? If you are given a 20x20 space or 30x30 do they allow you to park your rig at your cook site or what? Charge you extra? Not allow, ???

Wife and I are in the market for a toy hauler. One of the considerations will be the size as we would like to use it for competing out of as well.

tough one, we have a trailer, 16x7 and that's tight to get into a 20x20 size spot. Most comps have larger spaces 20x30 or so. Some larger, it's all pretty dependent on the comp itself. Some are more lenient than others, if your rig is right at 30 feet, trailer tongue included, it'll fit.

Do you take a camper to competitions?

If'n sheez purdy an has nice knockers an my wife dont find out, sure, I'll take her.

Every competition is different in this regard. There are no rules nor guidelines. You'll want to ask the organizer of each competition as to whether they allow your rig. Some, and most around here, allow your rig under 35' to stay right there with you. Others want you to haul it away at some point in time, regardless of size. Frankly, you'll have a higher liklihood of it being allowed to stay and to fit the shorter it is. Longer brings on added risk, but more functionality.

Our toyhauler fits in a 20x20, but you better be friendly with whoever your with, its cozy.....

7577103192_65b9b4a166.jpg

My "camper" is my haul trailer and a king size bed (with a few cupboards). Fits in my 20X20 space no problem...

20120720_185819.jpg

We fit in a 20X20 barely. 17' toy hauler.
We have done 5 contests this year and only had to unhitch one time for size.
We do need a little extra room to load and unload though.

Last edited:
Wow, 17ft, that would feel like being in a mansion compared to my 14ft camper. Bought it because it could supposedly be pulled by a V6 Tacoma which was True except that they didn't mention that you couldn't go over 40mph without blowing up the engine. So now i have buyers remorse since i now have a new Tundra! It is tight even with just me and my wife but it is nice to take a shower, have a toilet, stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, AC, Heater, 22" tv, cd/dvd player,, etc... Sure beats sleeping in the EZ-Ups!!!

Attachments

• 14ft Camper.jpg
    14ft Camper.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 347
Wow i didnt know their were so many small toyhaulers, nice.

mine is 15 ft, just under 20 with the tongue sleeps 4 though with the queen that drops down.
it is like a big wind sail though, you know your pulling something, not the weight, but the wind resistance..

Goddahavit,

You aren't lying there!! The wind resistance is ridiculous. It's like pulling a 8ft wide 10ft tall flat wall behind the truck. It's amazing how much more gas i burn doing 70mph than 65mph. Crazy! Also, mine has a lot of tongue weight at least 15% of total weight but it is designed to haul a 4 wheeler or small dune buggy in the back.

If all you want is a place to catch a little sleep while your food cooks, you might want to check out Teardrop Campers.

Mine is 4X8 (plus tongue), sleeps 2, has air-conditioning and a small galley. And, it weighs about 600 pounds. It cost me about $1,500 to build.

picture.php

CD

We have a 30ft. Toy hauler. We've only done one competition, Merrimack,NH Rock n Ribfest, but we had no problem fitting it and our truck. We lucked out with a corner spot that was a bit oversized

Goddahavit,

You aren't lying there!! The wind resistance is ridiculous. It's like pulling a 8ft wide 10ft tall flat wall behind the truck. It's amazing how much more gas i burn doing 70mph than 65mph. Crazy! Also, mine has a lot of tongue weight at least 15% of total weight but it is designed to haul a 4 wheeler or small dune buggy in the back.

yea, my stretch and backwoods even out the tongue weight nicely...
that and the wd hitch.

30' Total

Attachments

• Washington-20120420-00594.jpg
    Washington-20120420-00594.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 298
I cook out of a 35 foot toy hauler (45 with the ramp down). Every contest I've been to usually offers a standard 20 x 30 space, but you can pay to get extra space and 30/50 amp power, which is what I do. Never had an issue as long as you register in time to get a spot that big. Once they run out of space, getting a big rig in becomes more difficult. Smaller teams, they usually find a spot for.

That's my experience...YMMV!

If all you want is a place to catch a little sleep while your food cooks, you might want to check out Teardrop Campers.

Mine is 4X8 (plus tongue), sleeps 2, has air-conditioning and a small galley. And, it weighs about 600 pounds. It cost me about $1,500 to build.

picture.php

CD

Did you build from plans?

That is very cool!

Gorgeous rig....that's what I would love to have someday. What does it have for sleeping quarters, kitchen, bath?
It has a queen bed in front, a fridge, shower, toilet, large bath, 3 burner range, sink on the porch and in the trailer. I have 6' of counter space for turn in's.

Back