Thanks for the advice Norcoredneck, that is why I left the wheels till my 3rd set of upgrades and honestly if they pop off oh well no big deal. I didn't put any holes in the bottom and I have plenty of bricks to prop the UDS up on...

I'll keep ya posted.

Gonna do a couple of Butts and ribs for the big game tomorrow... more important than the upgrades is the eat's!!!

I used casters on the bottom of mine without any problems.

Casters.JPG

I burned my drum 3 times now and there is still liner in it. The last burn was extremely hot and still had flames coming 2-3 feet above the top 6 hours after i started. Can i just grind this **** off with a flap wheel?
Get a bunch of wood, light a fire and use an air compressor, shop vac set to blow, or a leafblower to push air thru the air hole you drill in the bottom of the barrel. Itll glow red, and I guarantee that coating will be gone.

tide wash?

I know ive seen it in here somewhere, but does any one know the ratio of tide to water that Norco recomends to wash out an oil barrel? I just got some more barrels, and am ready to start my 2nd build. But 330 some pages are alot to search through. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks drumheads!

8:00pm, take ball peen hammer and brand new chisel and knock the top off of 55 gallon drum. 8:15 pm, drill 3, 1" holes in bottom of said barrell 3 inches from bottom. 8:35 pm, carry drum from basement to yard. 8:17pm, gather wood whole wife tears up newspaper to start fire. 8:25 pm, strike match and set paper on fire and add kindling wood to get fire started. 8:30 pm, consume adult beverage while watching the inaugural burn of my new uds.

The journey has started. Uds is an inferno right now. Will babysit it until the flames go out and go to bed. Wake up early and assemble it. I can't believe I've started it. But I have! I gotta go back out with the wife and tend my fire. Just came in for a cold one!

how to do a whole hug 50 to 75 lb on a uds

I want to do a small hog for my sons grad. party. Any help would be greatful.

Not sure you will be able to do a small hog in a UDS...unless it is a piglet. :D

Second Cook

Second cook on UDS. Couple of notes.
- Used Cowboy Lump, seemed to have a harder time keeping consistent temp compared to Kingsford Competition.
- Definitely need to get a therma pen. I had the pork shoulder on for 13 hours, still indicated only 160 internal. pulled off wrapped for 30 minutes and then pulled. it was definitely done and tender.
- Same with the Fatties, never did indicate right. left on for 4 hours, pulled and sliced. Definitely done and best breakfast sausage I've eaten.
- A friend gave me a weber lid that I modified to fit. I didn't use it for the cook, but put it on after pulling the pork. The temp was higher at the cooking grate using the dome lid compared to the flat lid. (using same valve/cap settings) May have been due to the dome not fitting as well as the flat lid.

All in all, still best BBQ I've cooked or eaten in a long while.

The missus wants me to make another shoulder for Valentine's Day to have while watching Daytona 500. So, I must be doing something right!

Dave

I know ive seen it in here somewhere, but does any one know the ratio of tide to water that Norco recomends to wash out an oil barrel? I just got some more barrels, and am ready to start my 2nd build. But 330 some pages are alot to search through. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks drumheads!

At the bottom of the screen you will find a Google search box, if you put "norco and tide" in the box and search you will find several places where Norco recommends tide, but I never found and actual ratio. Post 3981 on p 266 says heavy mixture of tide and hot water.

Good luck,
Larry

Casters on mine also. Hard to see but there's four.
Picture136-1.jpg

I know it's probably back somewhere in the thread, but mind if I ask how you made that extension? I just got a ten dollar weber and I still want to use it as a Weber sometimes so I don't want to hammer the rim out and don't want to cut up the bottom. That looks good. I guess otherwise I would need a strip of sheet metal to make a ring.

Not to go off topic here, but shouldn't there be some sort of prize for the 5,000th post to this thread? It's not that far away.....

Holy long threads Batman! 4956 posts 331pages... Took me almost 2 weeks to read the whole thing, left me with no questions and I just happened to finish my uds today. I followed the Norco k.i.s.s. method, only deviation was no welding and I had to add a coupler to the inside of the 3/4'' nipples, the holes I drilled were a little to big for the nipple threads to grab. I am planning on doing my seasoning cook tomorrow and throw a couple fatties on. I will take some pics then and post em up.

first cook on the UDS..she is chugging along at 225 with two holes open (one uncapped, one ball valve wide open). It was up to 300 when I put the chicken on. With two holes open, shouldnt it be higher? I have a weber lid with the holes about half closed on the lid. Should I be worried about anything at this point? Im about 1 hour into the cook with the chicken on.

Open the Weber lid vents wide open !!!!!!!!!!! Real important to keep them fully open. You can easily get a real nasty buildup of smoke without them wide open. Good lunck bro!

Back