seasoning a cooker

Roaster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What si the proper way to season a new cooker. I am almost done building a reverse flow smoker. I want to season it the right way.

Roaster

Check out the Bandera 101 document on the home page (click on Our Homepage above left). I think there's good info in there. Try using the search function too when time permits.. I've seen several good discussions on how it's been done.

Try to get at several hours of total burn time with and build up the temps over 300+ for a while and then bring temp back down. Use lots of charcoal and wood to get the heat and smoke going. Spray or wipe down the pit with cooking spray (PAM) or some veg. oil.

I hope I don't get in trouble, but here is what the Lang website says to do http://www.pigroast.com/care.htm
Lang BBQ Smoker Cooker Firing, Cleaning and Seasoning Instructions
1. First time to season: spray cooking area with vegetable oil or PAM (walls, doors, grates, etc.) Every thing inside the cooker. After you have started your cooker, (pre cook in it by letting the oil sizzle and sear and pre grill for about 35 to 45 minutes or longer and then do the spray misting with water as follows.)
2. Build fire: use 4-5 pieces of split, dried hardwood (soda can diameter), leaving all doors and vents/dampers wide open initially, (also brass valve at bottom wide open with gallon bucket underneath)
3. Light fire with kindling, (charcoal, fat lightered, Wesson oil soaked paper towel, etc.) or a propane brush burner; get a large fire going and wait until black smoke bellows out; then close cooker door to "propped open" (i.e. over closed latch). When flames come out of the fire box, close fire box door to "propped open" position (i.e. over closed latch).
4. When temperature gauge reaches about 300 degrees Fahrenheit, open cooker door and spray/mist water inside on all surfaces. (This is the steaming process). Then, let fire re-heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit again and repeat spray/mist process. Steam cleaning inside entire cooking area. Then, add a large piece or two of split wood, close chimney damper to 45 degrees and fire box vents to almost closed, and let cooker "smoke cure" which creates a hardwood smoke glaze.
5. Oiling process is only done initially. The firing mode (i.e. doors open, etc.) is done every time you fire up. The steam cleaning should be done after each cook or before, by getting the grill hot to create steam.
6. Remember: Great food comes from a clean grill; that is where the consistency comes in.

Bastin' Away

Get it hot and do the inside & outside and you will be fine. Good luck with it.

Bubba

A new BBQ pit should be cured like a new iron skillet. You may chose to rub the inside of the pit with Pam, peanut oil, cooking oils, or even bacon grease left over from bacon cooked on the stove. Then you light the pit with a medium fire, say 220 degrees for those of you with smokers. Choke the smokestack control about 1/2 and let it smoke heavily. A few hours is good, the longer the better. A Pit will cure without oils, but the buildup of the resin base on the doors doesn't seem to hold very well over the years.

I have made maybe 100,000 BBQ pits, noticing the pits seated with oils seem to produce better results. Once again, be careful with green woods. Some will produce very bitter tastes. Please do not ever use green mesquite in a smoker.

I spray mine on the outside with canola oil also. Seems to keep the paint looking fresh. ..........stan

The Striped Pig

Good point Stan,

I have noticed that a can of Canola Oil works wonders for rust prevention. But best rule of thumb, keep it covered.

Cheers!

Sorry i couldnt resist
mexicanwave.gif

When I first got my smoker, I knew I needed to season it. I read all the threads here on the site and then here's what I did.

I went to the grocery store and bought two pounds of lard. I eventually found that I only needed one of them.

I started out by rubbing the block of lard all over the inside of the cooker. It was warm enough and the smoker was in the sun, so the lard melted easily. I even coated the firebox (although in hind sight I don't know that it did any good.)

I then started a fire in the firebox without anything in the smoker in order to get it really hot, then I started rubbing the hot smoker all over the outside with the lard.

I kept the fire going for several hours. Eventually the white decals turned yellowish and the surface of the smoker started getting tacky. I then applied another coating of lard - then I let the fire go out and the smoker cool.

Pay close attention to the hinges and seams - and I agree - the MOST important thing you can do to prolong the life of any object that lives outdoors is to cover it.

For what it's worth . . . ENJOY IT!

/Brother Dave

going to season the cooker tommorrow. Going to rub lard and keep the temps at 250

Back