Carolina Chopped pork question

Good tips thank you! I have seen other variations of this sauce, is this the same seasoning sauce you would use other than adding a little heat? Getting ready for Sunday. Picking up the pork tomorrow from the butcher and will get that sauce done tonight.
If it's cooked right it shouldn't need sauce imo but some like my wife think BBQ = BBQ Sauce. :crazy:

lVU4cSe.jpg

Chopped

ofIJoTH.jpg

I'll put sauce on the table for my wife and those who want it.

I have noticed that when I do a pulled pork and I wrap, it does indeed render it down, but it also makes it wet on top. The only reason I ever wrapped was because most of the videos I have seen the gents doing the cooking wrap. They say to much smoke makes it nasty? However I am getting different opinions here. Wrapping really does seem to defeat the purpose of a nice long smoke.

When someone says that too much smoke makes their barbecue nasty...it's because they are cooking with nasty smoke. That particular person needs to learn how to cook with good smoke.

Quick question, should I do this with strait Apple pellets or do it in Hickory. I usually do 50/50 Hickory and Cherry pellets, but I thought I would do strait Apple this time for something different. Watcha think?

If it's cooked right it shouldn't need sauce imo but some like my wife think BBQ = BBQ Sauce. :crazy:

lVU4cSe.jpg

Chopped

ofIJoTH.jpg

I understand, and agree about sauce...but North Carolina barbecue sauce isn't the same thing. It's a seasoning...and no more of a seasoning than you put on your pork (rub) prior or after the cook. The term "sauce" is confusing.

Last edited:

lVU4cSe.jpg

Chopped

ofIJoTH.jpg

I am a sauce o haulic!! I drench everything in sauce. I cannot eat a steak without A1. No matter how good it is cooked. I also love BBQ sauce. But I know where you are coming from. Some people feel sauce ruins the meat and that makes total sense.
I love the taste of vinegar, that is why this version of PP/CP has my attention. I still make good old fashioned Good Seasons for salad dressing, love the vinegar taste is gives a salad.

Good tips thank you! I have seen other variations of this sauce, is this the same seasoning sauce you would use other than adding a little heat? Getting ready for Sunday. Picking up the pork tomorrow from the butcher and will get that sauce done tonight.

The basic sauce you see in the video is fine...I just prefer to heat it up, not quite or just to a boil, and let it cool first. The heat will steep the peppers and infuse it into the vinegar. But you certainly don't have to do it.

I understand, and agree about sauce...but North Carolina barbecue sauce isn't the same thing. It's a seasoning...and no more of a seasoning than you put on your pork (rub) prior or after the cook. The term "sauce" is confusing.
I understand and I'll use Swamp Boys Boot Leg Red or Blues Hog Tennessee Red on leftovers from time to time or if I'm having a sandwich without a Vinegar base slaw or pickled red onions so it's not dry.

This pork is fully "sauced" and ready to eat.

attachment.php

The Pork looks awesome and not drowned in a heavy base BBQ sauce.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of NC sauces as suggestions for your weekend shenanigans:

Lexington Dip - This comes from the Piedmont of NC, specifically Lexington. It's considered a sacrilege by Eastern North Carolinians, because of the tomato content. That said, it's a "dressing" sauce for between the chop and the serve.
Source: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/lexington_dip.html
Ingredients
1 cup distilled vinegar (do not use cider vinegar)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

Just a simple eastern NC. Vinegar sauce - SirPorkaLot
Source: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3701859&postcount=37

INGREDIENTS
1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
3/4 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp White pepper
1 Tbs red pepper flakes

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Whisk together all ingredients until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Have fun with your experimentation!

Got the Butt on nice and early. Got an extra start thanks to daylight savings. Did not have course pepper so had to use ground pepper. But so far so good. Been on for around 4 hours now. Went into the freezer and had a couple of racks of ribs so I said, why not. Our grocery store here has been running sales for months now, buy one baby back and get 1 free or 2 free. Stocked up on some ribs while the getting is good.

Last edited:
Back