How Many Here "Mentally" Compete?

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For SCCA road racing, I usually spend about 30 minutes a day mentally driving a race track prior to a race. This has proven to be invaluable.

I find myself doing the same for a couple of weeks prior to a BBQ comp. I mentally setup the site, prep meats, light fires, cook, build boxes, etc. Sometimes I sit with my timeline and mentally go through the milestones. I even walk through awards and accepting my GC award (OK now I'm dreaming).

Does anyone else do this, or am I certifiably insane?:loco:

We don't go through that much of a visualization before the comp. However, after we've setup at comp we go through our timeline and make sure we're all on the same page.

I don't mentally visualize the event but I do psyche myself up for it and set goals and expectations. For repeat events, I've been known to write down the prior year's scores on piece of paper (not just the place finish, but the actual scores) with "BEAT THIS" in large print on the reverse side. I reference it throughout the weekend. The people I show it to do think I'm a little nuts. But in most instances, they asked. It's not like I whip out the piece of paper and say 'look at this'. Most times they ask if we've been there before, how did we do, etc.

Sometimes I get overly anxious prior to a comp, I can usually solve that problem by self medicating with a slow and steady bourbon drunk the thursday night before the comp. Lee- I know you don't drink, so that might be your problem.

I never really thought of it, but yes... I mentally go thru the entire prep process, timelines, and turn-ins more than I care to admit.

For SCCA road racing, I usually spend about 30 minutes a day mentally driving a race track prior to a race. This has proven to be invaluable.

I find myself doing the same for a couple of weeks prior to a BBQ comp. I mentally setup the site, prep meats, light fires, cook, build boxes, etc. Sometimes I sit with my timeline and mentally go through the milestones. I even walk through awards and accepting my GC award (OK now I'm dreaming).

Does anyone else do this, or am I certifiably insane?:loco:

Been doing this since day 1. Studied visualization at UF, great stuff.

My first thought every morning is BBQ related...that should tell you where my head's at...lol! I pour over my comp notes before each cook and bounce my thoughts off my wife since she is our flavor profiler (yes Scottie...I said "flavor profile"...lol!) Usually on our way to a comp we go over our game plan...then again the morning before turn ins. Pretty much certifiable here...:icon_smile_tongue:

Well, it's kind of hard to mentally go through your comp process weeks ahead of time when you do comps 3 out of 4 weeks in a month......:becky:

This weekend marks our 17th for the year so far. The routine is ROUTINE by now.

I have a "don't forget comp list" in my phone that I run through before I leave the house, and our timeline is on both of our phones with alarms for each step, but other than that, we don't discuss a lot of the details. We talk strategy (flavors, tweaking, boxing, etc), but not the process much ahead of time.

BUT.....we're both "BBQ Whacko" for sure. :thumb:

Back