Depends on what the chemicals were. Definitely not if highly toxic, pesticides, PCB's, etc.

Depends on what the chemicals were. Definitely not if highly toxic, pesticides, PCB's, etc.

Sanitation chemicals. I better not, sounds too risky.

One more question. If I get a food grade drum sand blasted inside and out, is there a need to have it burned out as well?

Just picked up a 55 gal drum from a local sporting goods store for 8 bucks, the drums are filled with bear bait to sell to bear hunters. They are filled with bakery stuff that can't be made into food for human consumption, so alot of it is cookie dough that went bad etc. My question is about the inside of the barrel because it is burnt orange in color. As far as I know there weren't any hazardous chems inside so will a good burn do the job and do I need to make sure all the orange coating is removed. The lid is in good shape and it came with a metal compression like strap with a locking handle to secure the lid to the drum. I plan on using the lid for now because I don't have a dome lid yet. One question on the lid is that it has a gasket that seals it to the drum that feels like it is make of rubber so do I need to replace it or just remove it. Last question is that I have the bottom of a L'll Smokey Joe grill and it is 13" in diameter and stands 13" high, will it work as the charcoal basket?

mushcreek...
Thanks for the link on the stainless lid for my stainless UDS.
My stainless drum rim is just slightly larger than the steel one I had.
I really had to work the rim of the steel lid with a hammer and dolly to get it to seal. It's only temporary though until I get a dome lid.
I just couldn't wait to smoke some meat...

Don't put away your hammer and dolly!!! :biggrin::biggrin: I had to hammer away on my Arctic lid to fit my ss drum. Then I had to add some nuts and bolts and furnace gasket to keep it on and sealed, but, it works like a champ. Nuts and bolts were to keep it aligned on the drum rim. I have pics if you need to see.

Just sayin..........

Paul B
SS UDS

Thanks, this will be what I will do. I will put up some pictures once I do this. Appreciate the response and help.

Hit it with the weed burner until the metal glows red. Your drum will never run at temps near that, and anything that is going to off-gas will be gone.

My local drum dealer (the only one I could find) sells those 85 gallon salvage drums. However, since their price for a new 55 (in 18-gauge steel) is $70, I imagine the 85 is pushing $100. Although, who knows... maybe a UN-approved shipping drum commands a higher price. I'll have to get a quote on one, and see if it's worth buying that and having the corrosion inhibitor sand blasted out.

http://www.capitaldrum.com/Metal.Page.html

-Rodney

EDIT: Well, I think I'm probably wrong... Salvage drums are subject to UN req's/testing just like 55'ers are.
http://www.myerscontainer.com/drumpage/mccsalvagedrum.htm

My local drum dealer (the only one I could find) sells those 85 gallon salvage drums. However, since their price for a new 55 (in 18-gauge steel) is $70, I imagine the 85 is pushing $100. Although, who knows... maybe a UN-approved shipping drum commands a higher price. I'll have to get a quote on one, and see if it's worth buying that and having the corrosion inhibitor sand blasted out.

http://www.capitaldrum.com/Metal.Page.html

-Rodney

EDIT: Well, I think I'm probably wrong... Salvage drums are subject to UN req's/testing just like 55'ers are.
http://www.myerscontainer.com/drumpage/mccsalvagedrum.htm

Generally the 85's are around 100.00 and worth every freaking penny. Clean 55's should be about 50.00 though you do live out there in the land of milk, honey, and over priced cost of living so there's no telling why.
;)

Generally the 85's are around 100.00 and worth every freaking penny. Clean 55's should be about 50.00 though you do live out there in the land of milk, honey, and over priced cost of living so there's no telling why.
;)

So from the sound of things, I may be looking at a $140 85-gallon drum. We'll see what they come back with, but if it's over $100 it's a no-go in my book, at least for UDS v1.0...

-r

Worked on it last night. Didn't take long at all. Two hours max. And I was being slow.
I'm gonna switch to a 22.5" food grate. 22" was too small. All I need to do now is get a lid, meat temp gauge and fabricate a charcoal basket.
2958538580097513644S600x600Q85.jpg
2375521640097513644S600x600Q85.jpg

If the sand blasting actually gets rid of all the liner, then you are good to go without a burn. If there is some liner left, then I would burn.

I bet you will be OK without a burn, though.
Awesome, thanks!!!
If you blast it to bare metal, you won't need a burn.
Awesome!! Thank you so much guys! I might just burn to be on the safe side if I notice any part of the liner left.

So from the sound of things, I may be looking at a $140 85-gallon drum. We'll see what they come back with, but if it's over $100 it's a no-go in my book, at least for UDS v1.0...

-r

Got 5 85ers off Craigslist for $30 each (and the guy threw in a 55er because I bought him out!) - Ive been on the hunt for good barrels for over a year though! If you do go with an 85, here is a link to a great grate source ;) -
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=503448

Got 5 85ers off Craigslist for $30 each (and the guy threw in a 55er because I bought him out!) - Ive been on the hunt for good barrels for over a year though! If you do go with an 85, here is a link to a great grate source ;) -
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=503448

Yeah, I've seen that grate... it's great... ;-)

So my local dealer wants $169 for an 85 gallon drum. All of their drums are lined with a corrosion inhibitor too. I'll be going down there sometime next week to see what this corrosion inhibitor is like... if I have to sand blast it, I'll be getting a used lined 55-gallon drum from a friend of mine for free because I'd be in the same boat anyway.

Yeah, I've seen that grate... it's great... ;-)

So my local dealer wants $169 for an 85 gallon drum. All of their drums are lined with a corrosion inhibitor too. I'll be going down there sometime next week to see what this corrosion inhibitor is like... if I have to sand blast it, I'll be getting a used lined 55-gallon drum from a friend of mine for free because I'd be in the same boat anyway.

How much does it cost to sand blast a 55 drum?

Back