NO Rub at all?

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Have any of you done a butt with no rub at all? Local bbq joint here does this and their meat is awesome! Thinking about trying this, but wanna hear from you guys first.

Years ago, when I first started doing briskets, I cooked them with no rub. But, I layed bacon on top of them, before wrapping.

I always made my own sauce too, and that is what I ate the meat with.

Now days, I always rub, and hope that no one wants any sauce.

Part of the reason I do not post many cooks is I mostly cook large pieces of meat without rubs and spices. Most of it goes into the freezer for future meals, which is when the flavoring go in. Even things like dark meat poultry and ribs that I am eating right away are frequently cooked plain. I just like the taste of meat. Bland meats such as white meat poultry, pork loin or loin ribs do really need something to make them palatable.

I've done ribs with no rub at all and was surprised by how good they were. I had to trim some back loin ribs to fit my 18 WSM so I tried various rubs on the trimmings and left one plain as a control.

Try it! I doubt you will be disappointed.

I also highly recommend trying different smoking woods (without any rub) to see what flavors they contribute. It's very instructive to see what different things contribute to the flavor profile you are trying to achieve.

I do Butts neked or with just some salt It puts a smile on my mug. Once you cook one neked I think you will come to see how good plain old salt & pepper really is and all you need 95 % of the time.

Back