Don't' do this at a competition . . . .

kcpellethead

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'd like to start a thread that can be both informative and humorous. Please list something that you shouldn't do at a contest. It can be as a cook, judge or spectator. This idea is not original. There was recently a thread like this on another forum. Even so, my idea to do this came from the actions of my neighbors at the last contest we attended.

I have three:

*Don't give your neighbor an honest answer when asked to sample his/her food and give your opinion. (Don't do it!)

*Don't show up to a contest and assume that you can encroach on your neighbors site "by just a foot or two." (Don't do it!)

*Don't stake your tent with the opening directly facing the exhaust of your neighbors onboard generator. (Don't do this!)

:lol:

RE: Don

Great advise!

1 & 2 are just good manners. 3 just flat out makes good sense!! :twisted:

#1 is often a hard to learn thing - a neighbor team showed us their brisket turnin box - we were nice and non-committal - it looked like jerky. But the sucker wound up taking 3rd. :D I am SO glad we stayed "nice". :D

I'd add that as a judge - be very careful about your comments to competitors about what went on in the judge's tent. You're not giving away secrets at all but sometimes you'll be talking about a box and suddenly realize (different clues) that you're talking to the team that turned it in!

*Don't be afraid to tell the contest organizer that the guy next to you cooked all his meat the day before, put it in a cooler and took it back to the motel room, and returned the next day to heat it up for turn in. This actually happened at Charleston MO.

*Don't be afraid to tell the contest organizer that the team next to you never had a fire lit in the cooker all night, but somehow turned in all four entries that day. This happened at the AR Invitational last year.

Dont ask the team across from you what time pork chop tun in is. :wink:

Don't go there expecting great weather and leave the tent and tarps home

Dont ever expect to win. Have a slice of humble pie and do your best to win. Cockiness breeds carelessness.

Dont bring the family unless you know fro sure there is stuff to keep them occupied. Staring at your cooker for 2 days is not their idea of fun.

Never EVER assume you can pick up a critical item at a local(to the contest) supermarket.

Surprised no one posted this.. DO NOT EXPERIMENT.! Stick with what you know and do not deviate. I still have to learn this one.

Do help out.. whenever asked, whatever it is. Be prepared to meet the best group of extended family you will have.

if u do encroach on your neighbors foot print.. by a little bit.... Do make them dinner. :)

Uhmmm - be real careful about the fire thingy. I've had my butt kicked by teams that don't fire off until 4 a.m. Got whipped in brisket by a neighbor that didn't light off until 6 - I thought his brisket was crap but the judges gave him 3rd - and I KNOW it was the brisket he cooked that morning! :D

This, cheating, was asked about in an earlier thread - if we don't police ourselves nobody will. The reps and organizers don't want to hear it but there is certainly "weird" going on at some events. No doubt about it!

Now, if the cooker is still cold after 6 I would definately want to have a chat with someone - unless he's got a FE in the trailer! :D

Always make sure the box is right side up.I've done this so many times I can redo a box in less than two mins.Happened this year in Tryon and squeaked out with a 3rd place finish.

Willy T.

Always make sure the box is right side up.I've done this so many times I can redo a box in less than two mins.Happened this year in Tryon and squeaked out with a 3rd place finish.

Amen to that! :D At Dillard they made a special point of reminding everyone that the NUMBER is on the TOP of the box! :D

Be gentle the the turnin box. I know of one team, no joke, that was DQ'd because the tab on the styro box broke. Heck the Brethern had to go beg for another box when ours got messed up (early in the day fortunately) - seems someone was "practicing" and broke the box! :D

If you are planning on sleeping in your car, DON'T park near the porta-potties!

If you are planning on sleeping in your car, DON'T park near the team that is running the all night dice game...

See a theme here?

Solidkick said:
seems someone was "practicing" and broke the box!

Damn you Tim.......... :mrgreen:
Twasn't me!

Do not assume just because someone cooks differently than you that they are cheating!
Had a friend at a comp who quesioned (to me) his neighbors use of propane in the cooker at 3 AM. Had to be "using gas". Turned out to be a brush burner, which was now well clear of the cooker, and the Dude was just using a higher temp profile :wink:

Do not tend the fire or be around it without decent shoes on! Coals and embers hurt :twisted:

Do not try to "vend" to pay the bills before you learn how to compete! You will screw up both :oops:

Enough for now :lol:

TIM

When the team across from you ask what time is pork chop turn in
just say i dont know

RBSNWNGS said:
When the team across from you ask what time is pork chop turn in
just say i dont know

Do NOT fark with your parners head by telling you were disqualified for cheating just because the judges wanted to screw with your head. :D That shyte's just plain cruel! lol

Do not break wind in the vicinity of your propane turkey fryer while lighting charcoal!! :shock:

Do Not get so serious that you don't make time to meet your fellow competitors. All that prepping, cooking and presenting you can do at home in the driveway (you can send me your entry fee to complete the contest feeling), its the other "similarly afflicted" Q folk that make contests special, go meet them and make some friends and enjoy their company as relief from the stressful schedule of competing.

Don't drink so much beer that you Crap your pants and all the other cookers make fun of you for the rest of your life!

Don't wear the same shirt the next day that you had on when you crapped your pants.

You Know who you are!!!

spicewine said:
Don't drink so much beer that you Crap your pants and all the other cookers make fun of you for the rest of your life!

Don't wear the same shirt the next day that you had on when you crapped your pants.

You Know who you are!!!

OMG! and so do the rest of the cental MoFos........ :shock:
Thus.........the nickname........Ol' Drippy Britches......... :twisted:

Back