Texas to Yellowstone - necessary food (BBQ) stops

jcinadr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Going to be loading up the power wagon with our family of 7 and doing the great American road trip vacation. (ok, wife has family in Wyoming). I think home base while there is Riverton, but not 100% sure.

Now personally, I enjoy food tourism more than people watching or sight seeing. But I really don't know what type of food to look for driving up the west side of the great plains. This is one of 2 road trips this year, but the other one has a Much tighter time limit (which sucks, as the road trip to NC offers so much food possibilities).

Any suggestions, either food styles or specific places that demonstrate a regional style exceptionally would be appreciated. Does not need to be limited to BBQ.

I don't think we have a defined route one yet. Part of my wanting suggestions, so I have ideas on what to see/eat along the way. Wife was trying to start one yesterday by calling her family who have made the drive before. That said, trip up I will have more say, trip back I'm flying (wife wants to stay a week or so more than I have vacation for). I don't know how many meals out we will do - we have done 4 corners out of a cooler before (her parents lived in N. New Mexico for a bit).

From Austin to Yellowstone, regarding elevation you have no way to go but up. Regarding BBQ, nowhere but down. I normally seek Mexican food and chicken fried steak out in those parts. Im always on the lookout for regional specialties like Indian Tacos with fry bread.

BBQ is just going to disappoint.

That being said, your route can be full of wonderful things to see. How much
of New Mexico do you have left to see? Carlsbad? Chaco Canyon? They're off the beaten path but worth special effort.

Arizona? Canyon De Chelly? North Rim of Grand Canyon? Both also worth special effort.

We just got back from a 4 week road trip out that way, have been out there many times before, and have barely scratched the surface.

My wife is NM out from trips to visit her parents for a decade (I have not done any NM attractions other hotels Roswell and Carlsbad). Will probably be doing a more northerly route - possibly as far east as Oklahoma City and Wichita (another uncle). Expect we will cut back over around Denver and hit Ft Collins for a growler fill or 2.

Forget the BBQ go for the Mexican. HeSmellsLikeSmoke speaks the truth I've spent may a Day on the road all over that part of country once you get West of Bandera and North of I -20 it is pretty dismal for BBQ that's fit for consumption We are talking Crock pot PP with Kraft original.

Back