Smoke on a Weber Kettle?

T

tntjz3

For all you Weber kettle owners out there, can you smoke on this? I'm looking for a grill to take camping, but I would like to smoke on it with good results, say a pork shoulder. I have been looking at the Pro-Q bullet, or the WSM, but I have an offset I'm just looking for a good all around grill/smoker. Thanks

ive done ribs and chicken on a kettle. you just need one of the charcoal side basket things to give indirect heat. never done anything big tho. the ribs and chicken came out awesome, and had a smoke ring with good smoke flavor. i am sure another brother has some more incite for you on this matter.

I have two kettles and I have never smoked meat on them. I primarily use them for direct/indirect cooking. For smoking meats its always on my WSM now. My poor old Chargriller offset sits there looking lonely these days.:p I would imagine some of the better cookers here will give you insight on using the kettle as a smoker. Good luck :thumb:

I started my Smoking Experiences on a 18.5" Weber Charcoal Grill...did Brisket and Pork Butts on it all the time....You can't beat the Weber Grill for versatility.

Absolutely! You can do some great smoking on a kettle. For longer burns you will likely have to add fuel during the cook, but they can do anything (smoking, grilling, pizza, etc.).

Good luck!

I've gotten 6 hour burn times from my Weber 22.5 grill. I use a large SS pan that I fill with water and add the charcoal and wood chunks to one side. I use the minion method. You can't beat the kettle it is a multi-purpose cooker.

I use the smokenator accessory on one of my kettles and it works very well for a 4hr burn (longer if you add fuel) or you can use fire bricks for indirect cooking for a longer burn. These kettles are great! Here is a good read I saw earlier today on this forum--
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...50042994&a=tpc&cdra=Y&m=6750042994#6750042994

I second this post, I too use the "Smokenator 1000', had very good results but is labor intensive. Have to check the water level every hour to an hour and a half depending on your temperature. The plus side is to make this same unit would easily cost you the same if not more, good luck, Big Kahuna

I have smoked turkey, chuckies, and Canadian bacon on mine with no problems and excellent results

The Weber 22.5" Kettle is the most versatile piece of cooking equipment you can have in your backyard.

Yes, you can smoke on it. Bank your coals on one side, place a water pan under meat opposite the coals. Rotate exhaust vents to be over meat. Get a thermometer so you can watch temps. Good times.

I smoke almost exclusively on a Weber OTS 22.5" kettle. Take a look at my blog if you like and you can see what I have smoked on a kettle. If you don't look, I can tell you I have done pork butts, pork shoulder, full packer briskets, chickens and ribs.

I smoke almost exclusively on a Weber OTS 22.5" kettle. Take a look at my blog if you like and you can see what I have smoked on a kettle. If you don't look, I can tell you I have done pork butts, pork shoulder, full packer briskets, chickens and ribs.

Second that. same same.

Cool! Thanks for the info. We camp alot, and I need a grill that can do it all, yet be semi small for transport. It needs to fit near my bike rack. It is going to be near 80 deg. this weekend here in NY, I guess I need to go shopping!

Time Out....

Quick note on linking to 'other' sites. If you link to another site for informational purposes,
please also include a quick summary or description of what the link refers to. This allows them to decide if they want to venture out. We would like to answer our members' questions in house if we can before sending them somewhere else to get the answer that maybe we can provide.

More info provided here in our rules/welcome section.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled thread.........

Time in......

If you already have the coal baskets, then by all means use em. But, if not, dont' really need to make that extra expense. Just bank the coals to one side and you can use fire brick or a water filled alum pan to act as a barrier so the direct heat does not hit the side nearest the fire on the bottom of the meat to directly. I've done numerous butts and a few smaller briskies in the kettle and it does a great job. One good tip is to put your wood chunks on the grate just over the coals. This way the chunks burn slower and longer instead of bursting into flames right away as they do when on the coals.

Bob

Here's how I set mine up for indirect grilling and smoking. I do however use some old pavers to wall up the coals. Not the best method, but it has worked for me.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37852

When smoking on the kettle, I use 2 bricks to hold coals and wood chunks on one side for the minion method, place a pan on other side to catch drippings. Everything wide open to reach target temp, then bottom vents barely cracked open, top vent placed over meat 3/4 the way open. Holds rock steady and have others have said, one of THE most versatile tools out there. Everyone starting out should have one IMHO. For those of you out there lurking or are new, don't skimp and buy a cheap Walmart grill, spend the extra bucks and get a grill that will serve you for many, many years to come.

EDIT: Bob beat me to it!

I have come up with a method to cook on a 22 1/2 silver for up to 12 hours without lifting the lid or adding more coals. I'm not sure if I should tell the method here. What the heck, here is my method, sorry no pics. First line the outside of the kettle with a row of kingsford, lay them flat. Don't connect the ring leave about 6 inches between the coals. Then add another row to the inside of the first row but stand them on edge leaning against the first row. Add a third row on top of the first and then a forth row. You will use about 150 coals. After making your ring put a water pan in the middle and add liquid. Place your wood chips on top of the coals throughout the ring. To get started light only about 10 inches of the coals on one side of the gap in the ring. Let coals get ashed over and add meat to grill. Put on lid and leave alone. This configuration should run about 225-275 degrees for 12 hours. I leave the bottom vents all open and the top as well. If the temp starts to get high I will close the top vent. The coals will continue to light and the fire will walk around the ring.

Good luck. I have used this method many times and have done shoulders and briskets this way. They turn out great. On one occasion I cooked a brisket while I went fishing all day. Started the grill at 5am and the meat was done at 5pm without adding coals or lifting the lid.

great info given. i do almost all my smoking on my kettles. i have a wsm but so far i'm better with the kettle. i do basically what cardiac does. i do cover the charcoal grate with foil up to were the coals will be. this makes the air go through the coals and not straight up past the meat and out the top vent. but before you rely on it ya better practice a few times.

Back