View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #9291
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG_UK View Post
It extends about 12" above the lid so the wind/breeze shouldn't be a problem. I've made a top hat for it just to have on standby incase of heavy rain/bugs/high winds by using an large upturned metal food can fitted with chicken wire/mesh in it to hold it above the exit of the chimney stack so it allows the smoke to freely escape, I still can't post pictures or I'd show you what I've made so far.

The issue with the wind is that a high speed wind will cause more negative pressure which will cause the draft to be much stronger, and the smoker to run hotter. It gets even worse if the wind is blowing into the direction of an open intake vent. The 12" on top you already have there is a huge stack and it will burn a lot of fuel. When it's windy, it'll burn it even faster.

It will still smoke well, but you will burn more fuel. I believe you'll have moisture inside by having it like this. I like it when my food has surrounding water vapor while cooking so I choose not to have such a strong draft.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->