Barbecue Rub Fanatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christian

Hello Brethren,

My name is Christian, I live in Santa Cruz, CA, and I’m a dedicated backyard barbecue/grill enthusiast. I have a particular obsession with barbecue RUBS, and have a dream that one day every kitchen in America will have a jar of barbecue rub on its spice rack.

Until very recently, I was a charcoal purist…and strictly hardwood at that. That changed about a month ago when I received a gas grill, a Weber Q, as a gift from my parents. While my OTG is still absolutely the cornerstone of my cooking, I am definitely a newly converted fan of using gas. Primarily because I now grill even more, increasing my weekly “light the grill” count from about twice a week to nearly four.

As a homemade BBQ rub fanatic, this essentially means I can try out even more recipes. A true smoker setup will be my next project (now I happily make do with the OTG.)

I’ve been working in the hi-tech industry for about 18 years with a specialization in innovation – which basically means I find new and novel ways to do things. I do, however, have aspirations to launch my own line of barbecue rubs, and aim to make that a reality in 2010.

I joined the forum to find more people who share my passion for rubs – if you are one, please get in touch; If you know of one, please send them my way. I love sauces and marinades as much as the next guy, but there’s something about rubs that I think goes under-appreciated and under-utilized by the average backyard barbecuer. I’d like to contribute to changing that.

I look forward to learning as much as I can from forum members.

Christian

Welcome to the FUNNY FARM Christian! This place is alot of fun...I'm sure there are brothers that will share rub recipies with ya!

Okay the best way to meet me is baptism by fire. First, welcome to our forum and please don't count any of the things you said that made my eye twitch count against me. We have all seen clueless people come in here and start from scratch and excell to great things after a few months listening and contributing here. Read my quips below.

have a dream that one day every kitchen in America will have a jar of barbecue rub on its spice rack.

THEY DO - SALT AND PEPPER

Until very recently, I was a charcoal purist…

SOME OF US WON'T COUNT THAT AGAINST YOU. WE ALL RESERVE THE RIGHT TO POKE FUN AT YOU FOR YOUR FUEL SOURCE AND DENY EVER HAVING USED IT OURSELVES.

I am definitely a newly converted fan of using gas.

OKAY - NOW WE HAVE A PROBLEM. I DON'T THINK WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BBQ HERE.

I do, however, have aspirations to launch my own line of barbecue rubs, and aim to make that a reality in 2010.

KNOWING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT BBQ IS HOW MANY PEDDLING THEIR RUBS GET THEIR START. JUST ABOUT EVERY RUB I HAVE TASTED EXCEPT PBR LOUDLY MAKES THE STATEMENT "i KNOW CHIT ABOUT RUBS" HELL, THE NEELYS GOT THERE OWN DAMN SHOW.

rubs that I think goes under-appreciated and under-utilized by the average backyard barbecuer. I’d like to contribute to changing that.

YOU WOULD BE WRONG HERE. GO TO ANY CONTEST AND SEE HOW SALES RACKS ARE FULL OF EVERY CONCEIVABLE RUB THAT PROMISES TO IMPROVE A PERSON'S Q.

I look forward to learning as much as I can from forum members.

YOU WILL AND ONCE AGAIN - WELCOME TO THE GREATEST FORUM ON LINE.

ONE LAST THING - Grilling is not BBQing.

Welcome to the Brethren, this is a great place. When you are ready to go completely gas, let me know, I can swing down and take that OTG off your hands cheap. :-D

No worries. Won't count anything against you.

You could've had me with pepper.

I gotta at least defend myself on the Grill vs. BBQ call out. Come on, i'm not that average of a griller. But both topics (grilling and barbecuing) are welcome in this forum, right?

Serious question: Does the average backyard barbecuer go to contests? I realize there are a ton of varieties available -- but my anecdotal impression is that most backyardigans rely on marinades and sauces.

Welcome to our crazy little club house!

Serious question: Does the average backyard barbecuer go to contests?

I don't know about the average backyard-er, but I think that the majority of the members here have at least been to a comp. Some cook, some judge, some just go to visit with friends. Once you get to know some of the Brethren online you may just find yourself heading to a local contest to "put a face" on the names here. Have FUN!!!

[QUOTE Once you get to know some of the Brethren online you may just find yourself heading to a local contest to "put a face" on the names here. Have FUN!!![/QUOTE]

Absolutely ... already looking forward to it.

Welcome Christian! The really cool thing about this place is that there are so many types of people here!

You have the ones that compete, the ones that vend, the ones that just whip up some really fine 'Que in their backyards, and the ones that are new to 'Que and just want to learn.

Everyone has a home here and learns here.

Cook something! Post some Pron! Good or bad, it don't matter!

Welcome Christian! The really cool thing about this place is that there are so many types of people here!

You have the ones that compete, the ones that vend, the ones that just whip up some really fine 'Que in their backyards, and the ones that are new to 'Que and just want to learn.

Everyone has a home here and learns here.

Cook something! Post some Pron! Good or bad, it don't matter!
Thanks, GreasePig.

I see your location is in Fayetteville, AR. I lived down there, not far off Dickson for a few years.

Any chance you know Penguin Ed?

Christian

I gotta at least defend myself on the Grill vs. BBQ call out. Come on, i'm not that average of a griller. But both topics (grilling and barbecuing) are welcome in this forum, right?
They are both welcomed here and can both be subject to a lot of chatter, just make sure you know the difference.

Thanks, GreasePig.

I see your location is in Fayetteville, AR. I lived down there, not far off Dickson for a few years.

Any chance you know Penguin Ed?

Christian

Yup sure do! They have 2 locations now. The original on Crossover and they bought the B & B BBQ and renamed it Penguin Ed's B & B. I live close to the one on Crossover and work close to the B & B so I get to partake as often as I want of their stuff!

We've gained a few other really good BBQ joints lately too!

Glad to have you aboard here! :razz:

PS. Don't let Funk get ya down! You'll learn TONS from him! He's forgotten more about BBQ than I'll ever know! Most around here prescribe to the no gas mantra, but just about everyone has a gasser on the patio next to their kettles and drums and stick burners! :)

Welcome to the addiction... Remember, there are no 12 step programs for us!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back