My Thai Chicken Pie

zydecopaws

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We can all thank Landarc for the Mad Science Experiment presented here. In case you've been living under a rock (or have the Throwdown on ignore), there is a 4-Ingredient challenge happening this week. The ingredients are:

• Chicken
  • Limes
  • Dough from a tube
… and cook’s choice of any one of the following three ingredients:

• Peanuts
  • Eggplant
  • Tofu
With these ingredients to choose from, I now present My Thai Chicken Pie. Made with dough from a tube. And chicken. And Limes. Oh, and peanuts (not pecans).

I started by marinating boneless, skinless chicken thighs for several hours in a mixture of tequila, fresh squeezed lime juice, cayenne pepper, and chopped cilantro. Maybe instead of My Thai Chicken Pie, I should have named it My Thai-quila Chicken Pie...

Around mid afternoon I fired up the BS Keg and smoked the chicken for about an hour at 275°F.

IMG_0327.jpg

The chicken was then chopped into 1/2 inch chunks and mixed with some julienne carrots, bean sprouts, green onions, mozzarella cheese, peanuts, and the juice from 1/2 lime. Some Thai peanut sauce and the dough in the tube was then readied for assembly. Look, proof of dough in a tube.

IMG_0332.jpg

For this experiment we used two cans of pastry sheets (that just sounds wrong) cut into twelve squares. The squares were then shoved into a muffin tin and brushed with peanut sauce.

IMG_0338.jpg

Each individual pie was then filled with generous portions of the chicken mixture. It actually looked pretty tasty before going on the grill.

IMG_0340.jpg

By this time I had cranked the BS Keg up to about 400°F. The pies went on for about 15 minutes; long enough to melt the cheese and brown up the pastry.

IMG_0343.jpg

In spite of the fact that we aren’t fond of dough from a tube (at least this sort; we actually like the Orange Sweet Rolls) the end result was surprisingly edible and pleasant to look at. The kids liked them, and I ate far more of them than I should have.

IMG_0350.jpg

The best part of this dinner is knowing that I have leftover filling (and chicken) in the refrigerator for tomorrow. The fillings for this were inspired by a pizza I saw online and I am looking forward to giving that a try.

Even if I have to use more dough from a tube… :tsk:

It is not too late to just sprinkle some pecans on those suckers!

I like the looks of those, and the size is perfect for over-eating. Nice cooking.

Well Paul, great minds think alike I guess. I too am using the muffin tin and crescent roll sheet but my filling is going to be way different. Already made the base sauce tonight. Your interpretation is outstanding! I'd soooo hit several of those.:thumb::thumb:

Well Paul, great minds think alike I guess. I too am using the muffin tin and crescent roll sheet but my filling is going to be way different. Already made the base sauce tonight. Your interpretation is outstanding! I'd soooo hit several of those.:thumb::thumb:

Thanks, but they are all gone. As Landarc said, they were the perfect size for overeating... :becky:

Very nice, even with the "shots" at a fellow competitor stuck in there.

Pictures are awesome. Great job all the way around.

Very nice, even with the "shots" at a fellow competitor stuck in there.

Pictures are awesome. Great job all the way around.

Just a different form of begging for votes... :becky: And I probably wouldn't had been as inspired if you hadn't pulled off that dessert. Using chicken gizzards. Trust me when I say your pictures make it look much better than it sounds. :shocked:

That could be the first triple-throwdown entry! Absolutely beautiful work. Extra points for using bean sprouts.

Thanks. It probably could qualify, but I'm sure someone would complain that it isn't properly Chinese (especially because it has Thai in the name) and that dough-in-a-tube isn't something I associate with California, BBQ or otherwise.

Besides, I have other Mad Science experiments in mind... :cool:

Back