• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Brisket on the New UDS

jlough69

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just recently finished my UDS and was planning on using it next weekend for a family cookout. But as all who have put together a drum know - you get that itch to break it in. So after work Friday I stopped by Parks and picked up a 8 lb packer to get a little practice in.

I figured to have everything ready for 6:00 pm Sunday dinner and so had the UDS loaded by 6:00am.

juston.jpg

I was worried about the temp kicking up quickly and actually loaded the UDS a little too cool, but the temp did come up much faster then on the WSM. No harm done other than a diminished smoke ring.

Norcoredneck had mentioned to hold the temp close to 200 on the dial to hit the right temp on the grate and worked it like a charm.

Once the temp was at about 203 on the dial and 234 on the center grate the UDS locked in and held steady until the wind picked up. But even then it only took a small air intake adjustment to lock in again.

temps.jpg

At around 3:30 internal temps were about 188 and off the brisket came - smelled great. Separated the point, chopped it and in a pan it went back into the smoker. The flat went into a cooler for a rest. I also added a few ABT's for an appetizer. 4:15 the ABTs came off and the endz stayed on but were starting to look and smell real good.

endzandabts.jpg

Finally at 5:30 I sliced the flat and took the endz off for dinner.

flatbr.png

sliced.jpg

brntendz.jpg

plate.jpg

The slices were tender and tasty but a little dry. Nothing a brush of sauce didn't cure. Next time I will foil during the cook and maybe add some apple juice. The endz were great and enjoyed by all - never seem to be enough. Always room for improvement, but overall I was pleased with the first UDS smoke and am thankful for all the great info everyone has shared. :-D

Wow, nice looking UDS! Burnt ends look farken great. Was it probe tender at 188? As repeated often around here, briskets are "done when they are done", but 188 might have been a little low, resulting in a slightly undercooked flat. Briskets can be done from 185 all the way up to 205 and up, they are picky bunch.

Last edited:
Was it probe tender at 188? As repeated often around here, briskets are "done when they are done", but 188 might have been a little low, resulting in a slightly undercooked flat. Briskets can be done from 185 all the way up to 205 and up, they are picky bunch.

They sure can be picky. I probably could have left it on a little longer as I hadn't hit butter yet. My last brisket was a big 17 lber done on the WSM was overdone and just falling apart so I wanted to make sure I could slice this one.

Is there any benefit in separating the point from the flat at the beginning of the cook?

I still haven't mounted handles on my drums yet. I know you said your drum is new, but are you happy with the handle location so far?

Nice job...Good looking smoker...Need to get started on mine.....

Firecrackerjack

I still haven't mounted handles on my drums yet. I know you said your drum is new, but are you happy with the handle location so far?

Handles seem good - makes moving much easier than without. I can pick the UDS up cool by myself and carry it, or have someone grap a side if hot though I try not to move the drum then. I also tried to place them at a comfortable carrying height so I wouldn't have to hold the drum up in the air to move it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement!

I am planning on smoking two butts and two packers along with some ABTs and Fatties this coming weekend for a family party (for 48) and am more comfortable with the prospect after seeing how the UDS cooks. Hopefully I will be able to swing some more photos.

Back