This brisket confused me

bbqpitsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
8 pound brisket. Seasoned and cooked the whole way at 275f to 300f. Got to 160f internal in 3 hours so wrapped in peach paper and threw back on pit. 5 hours total it his 207f in multiple spots. Was probing like butter towards the point end dropping the probe straight down into the brisket theough the pojnt and flat. Rested for approx 20 mins then sliced. One of my worst results ever. Slices of flat were so tough and rubbery that they couldnt be broken by stretching between my hands.

What did i do wrong?

Could it be the short rest time? I've never rested mine for less than 2hrs.

Could it be the short rest time? I've never rested mine for less than 2hrs.

I don't think so. I've done some very short rests and they didn't work like that. (I do prefer longer rests though)

Seems a bit under cooked maybe? I try to probe like butter on the thick part of the flat sideways.

Edit: I will add, the ONE time I ever cooked hot and fast, I had similar (though not as extreme) results. Probed well, and the IT was above 210! But still had un-rendered fat and was a bit rubbery.

at the texas bashes i never have time to rest. just pull and slice. while not as tender as resting longer they are close. i would focus more on where you are probing the flat for doneness.

Just making sure but did you slice against or with the grain? That can have a significant impact on the tenderness of the meat. Any chance you have pics?

Hot and Fast usually renders for me around 210, 207 is not that far out of the ballpark. with hot and fast I always rest longer, a lot longer, usually at least 2 hours.

Maybe a poor quality brisket?

Maybe you did not trim the hard fat and that's what you are dealing with?

Undercooked?

I dunno. Strange.

Was probing like butter towards the point end dropping the probe straight down into the brisket theough the pojnt and flat. Rested for approx 20 mins then sliced. One of my worst results ever. Slices of flat were so tough and rubbery that they couldnt be broken by stretching between my hands.

What did i do wrong?

IMHO you probed in the wrong place to check for tenderness. The point area will normally always be probe tender before the flat. Need to be just in the thickest part of the flat. You probably were about 45 minutes to an hour away from the flat being done. At 275 to 300 I am normally looking at 6 to 7 hours before my briskets are done no matter the size. Also I think the rest was to short was to short.

IMHO you probed in the wrong place to check for tenderness. The point area will normally always be probe tender before the flat. Need to be just in the thickest part of the flat. You probably were about 45 minutes to an hour away from the flat being done. At 275 to 300 I am normally looking at 6 to 7 hours before my briskets are done no matter the size. Also I think the rest was to short was to short.

This...

I have never cooked brisket hot and fast. I want to tho, because I love to smoke but don’t have 16 hrs to burn. Anyway, every recipe for h&f brisket that I have read including Myron Mixons, said to rest in cooler with towels and all that for approx 4 hours. Throw a 200 degree huge piece of beef into a hotbox and it’s gonna keep cooking. But without adding more heat to it, it’s kind of just simmering...My bet is that’s where the magic happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never cooked brisket hot and fast. I want to tho, because I love to smoke but don’t have 16 hrs to burn. Anyway, every recipe for h&f brisket that I have read including Myron Mixons, said to rest in cooler with towels and all that for approx 4 hours. Throw a 200 degree huge piece of beef into a hotbox and it’s gonna keep cooking. But without adding more heat to it, it’s kind of just simmering...My bet is that’s where the magic happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a search on here for the Bludawg brisket. It is hot and fast and no cooler required.

Sometimes you just get a crappy brisket and nothing you do will make it "un crappy".

I'll put my 2 cents in.... I am going with either it was a poor quality brisket, or you were probing in the wrong spot.

Don't think probing it from the side on the thickest part of the flat is gonna do you any good. The outsides of the meat will probe tender before the middle of the flat. I always probe from the top.

Depending on the fat content, when cooking higher temps 275-300º, sometimes the internal temp will go north of 210º to get tender. That and what others have said about probing the thickest part of the flat may be where it went wrong.

Back