Lang 60D Mod Question...

Full Draw BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have spent a lot of time trying to improve my Lang 60D. I've made several different charcoal baskets, and have one that works really well now, and just finished a bigger slide out second shelf. What I'm looking at now, is how to make it more efficient, looking at a Jambo and what they have that makes them so efficient. One thing I've started looking at is the level of the smoke stack inside the pit. Has anyone ever added an extension to the bottom of the stack, thus lowering the opening to closer to the upper shelf? Thanks for any input!!!!

Mike

I have built pits that the customer wanted the stack to protrude into the cooker at grate level and they swore by it's performance, other say it does not matter. I personally think it all about preference. One thing for sure it is a lot easier to cut it off than add it later in my opinion

Have you tried thermal blankets? Insulate the cooking chamber from the outside.
Has extended times noticeably by reduction of thermal energy loss.

The idea came from of all things... horse blakets.

Thank you guys.....I respect your opinions on here greatly!! Heck, I used a picture from a Bandit post to build my second shelf, and follow Tusca's builds!

My thought was to sleeve a 6-8 inch extension, and have it slide up into the current stack. A couple of tack welds would hold it in place, and it would be close to air tight, not that it would need to be 100% tight. It may be worth a try as I'm always looking for something to jack around with!!

Thanks again for your input guys!

I'll add this after I re-read Bandit's question....I have tried moving blankets before, when I had a very cold and windy day, and it seemed to help. I guess by extending the pipe into the chamber I'm hoping to accomplish the same thing, making the pit more efficient.

I think the major difference between the Lang and Jambo is that on a Jambo the firebox opening is at or slightly above grate level whereas a Lang opens up below the grate and is reverse flow. Don't know if that helps any but there's a little more info for you to consider. Also a Jambo has an insulated firebox

Back